Low4x4`s build - Updated often!

R

Riggs

how much oil did you need for the front diff? just 2 quarts?

also, is there any good way of changing the oil in the rear diff without pulling the cover off? every time i pull a cover off a differential i can never seem to get it to seal up good again.

im thinking about switching my front and rear diff fluid to royal purple,

R

Riggs

i do beleive there is a magnet stuck to the backside of the diff cover though on the back, at least there was in my 97.. ill probably just pay somebody to do it so its done right lol

Bigredmariner

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cody, yes there is a magnet inside the rear diff cover, also when you have the cover off it you take a ball pein and make sure there are no high spots at the bolt holes it will help the cover to sit better and seal up.

1LOW4X4

also, is there any good way of changing the oil in the rear diff without pulling the cover off? every time i pull a cover off a differential i can never seem to get it to seal up good again.

Yeah about 2 quarts. It's a bitch getting it all in there.

My rear diff has a drain plug. Did they change that? I'd still pop the cover off and clean the magnet.

R

Riggs

Yeah about 2 quarts. It's a bitch getting it all in there.

My rear diff has a drain plug. Did they change that? I'd still pop the cover off and clean the magnet.

i know there is a fill plug, where is your drain plug located?

1LOW4X4

Right on the bottom of the diff, but sounds like you don't have one.

When you take the cover off, bring it to the parts house with you to match the gasket, for some reason they have a helluva time without ir

R

Riggs

you used a gasket? i always have used rtv

also are you changing the transfer case and transmission fluid too? i would like to do everything with royal purple.. Front / Rear Differentials, T-Case, Transmission, and of course the engine oil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesse S
Back