I still can't believe what happened yesterday...

PenguinLTZ

Not a Mod
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not wired the same, you and I. I didn't really miss my Denali after I traded it off. Truth be told, had I not started working for who I work for and got such a great discount on the truck, I doubt I would've bought the Silverado... I've always preferred SUV's over pickups because of the concealable storage in the back. I hardly EVER "haul" anything. With the discount, though, the Silverado let me buy something relatively inexpensive (compared to a Tahoe, let's say) that could do the Colorado road trip stuff, which I haven't done a ton of the last couple of years.

IF I trade the truck for a commuter, that vehicle will most likely NOT be a road trip car. That'll just be a run back & forth to work 15k miles a year and keep the bulk of those miles off the vehicle I PREFER driving (which the Silvrado has done a LOT of, so far). :thumbs:

I get it. I miss my half tons, but I absolutely will never be without a 2500, again. Made that mistake one too many times.

Timely thread and post, as I was pondering getting a half ton for a daily driver, or holding out for an SS coupe. I really like taking the wifey's Acadia for road trips, that thing is more car-like than anything we have had, in years.

Anyhow, the real reason for my post; I was just informed that I am up for another promotion, if I want it, to a regional management position, and that would involve even more travel. My options are to keep traveling between branches in my bare-bones F250 company truck, or get something on my own, and turn in mileage.

Decisions, decisions!

The mileage reimbursement thing never really pays off, but I am still considering it. Maybe a low-mileage used SUV or cross-over like yours would make sense? I just need something that will last for 250K miles to make it worth it. I don't want to be slammed with high repair costs.

66nova

Doctor Bob - Fastest Doctor Around
Reaction score
I get it. I miss my half tons, but I absolutely will never be without a 2500, again. Made that mistake one too many times.

Timely thread and post, as I was pondering getting a half ton for a daily driver, or holding out for an SS coupe. I really like taking the wifey's Acadia for road trips, that thing is more car-like than anything we have had, in years.

Anyhow, the real reason for my post; I was just informed that I am up for another promotion, if I want it, to a regional management position, and that would involve even more travel. My options are to keep traveling between branches in my bare-bones F250 company truck, or get something on my own, and turn in mileage.

Decisions, decisions!

The mileage reimbursement thing never really pays off, but I am still considering it. Maybe a low-mileage used SUV or cross-over like yours would make sense? I just need something that will last for 250K miles to make it worth it. I don't want to be slammed with high repair costs.

You should definitely get a German luxury/sports car. They’re known for cheap repair cost. :thumbs:

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkanion

The space intentionally left blank.
Reaction score

Decisions, decisions!

IF you want to consider Macans, look for one with at least PASM. I've read several things that describe PASM as "the Porsche secret sauce" that makes it not just another SUV/Cross-over.

Here's a quote from the Porsche website :

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
PASM is an electronic active damping system. It responds to changing road conditions and/or driving style by continuously varying the individual damping forces within the parameters defined for the chosen mode. Pitch and roll are reduced, whilst contact of each wheel with the road is optimized.

Comfort is softer than the stock suspension and soaks up bumps pretty well. Comfort is not great for cornering, but it's not awful. Sport firms things up to be more firm than the stock suspension and Sport Plus is another step up in firmness, etc.

(When I say stock suspension, I mean the ones without PASM.)

For myself, I also looked specifically for the 14-way seats. Lots of adjustments, but the side bolsters aren't so big that they might be uncomfortable for me.

Look in your used market and see what you can find. To check what options have been added, hit this site :

https://vinanalytics.com/

I used that to verify options vs. what the dealer ads claimed.

Unfortunately, it seems that they change up what's included in the different trim levels from year to year. I never did find a good reference for that. :dunno:

I "wanted" a CPO, but those were SEVERAL thousand more expensive AND didn't have all the stuff I wanted. So, I skipped that.

Best of luck in deciding what to do! I can't attest to the longevity of the vehicle, but I plan to find out. :thumbs:

daddy

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Reaction score
Ok, ok! The old man has seen it and I took him for a ride. He said "it'd make a nice road tripper." I think there was also something about "never thinking I'd get something like this," but I may be mis-remembering the exact wording. :D2

A little old and a little new. Tobias should like that the ass-end came pre-debadged! :thumbs:

View attachment 6941

Alright. I'll post more later. I need to go get dinner started. :thumbs:

Approved

1BADSS396

Chief Pot Stirrer
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't get it for the performance. I "thought" about a Turbo. But, they were way more money and not enough more ponies to be worth it. This one has the sport suspension, which will tighten it up some for canyon carving, but it's no 'Vette or even Camaro on performance. :crackup:

I've heard a lot of people say "it's like being in a cockpit, with all those buttons." I think that's pretty accurate. :thumbs:

I didn't realize you had bought a Ram. How's that treating you?

My boss's has the turbo.

I just bought the Ram a couple of weeks ago. Love it so far! Rides so nice and feels so tight and quiet. And wow, what a difference that 8 speed makes. What a difference 12 years makes.

Darkanion

The space intentionally left blank.
Reaction score
My boss's has the turbo.

All the Macans come with a turbo, even the base 4-banger.

I just bought the Ram a couple of weeks ago. Love it so far! Rides so nice and feels so tight and quiet. And wow, what a difference that 8 speed makes. What a difference 12 years makes.

I'm glad the Ram is working out well for you! :cheers:

PenguinLTZ

Not a Mod
Reaction score
IF you want to consider Macans, look for one with at least PASM. I've read several things that describe PASM as "the Porsche secret sauce" that makes it not just another SUV/Cross-over.

Here's a quote from the Porsche website :

Comfort is softer than the stock suspension and soaks up bumps pretty well. Comfort is not great for cornering, but it's not awful. Sport firms things up to be more firm than the stock suspension and Sport Plus is another step up in firmness, etc.

(When I say stock suspension, I mean the ones without PASM.)

For myself, I also looked specifically for the 14-way seats. Lots of adjustments, but the side bolsters aren't so big that they might be uncomfortable for me.

Look in your used market and see what you can find. To check what options have been added, hit this site :

https://vinanalytics.com/

I used that to verify options vs. what the dealer ads claimed.

Unfortunately, it seems that they change up what's included in the different trim levels from year to year. I never did find a good reference for that. :dunno:

I "wanted" a CPO, but those were SEVERAL thousand more expensive AND didn't have all the stuff I wanted. So, I skipped that.

Best of luck in deciding what to do! I can't attest to the longevity of the vehicle, but I plan to find out. :thumbs:

Will do, thanks for the info!

PenguinLTZ

Not a Mod
Reaction score
You should definitely get a German luxury/sports car. They’re known for cheap repair cost. :thumbs:

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, I meant something that would go 250-300K without a major failure.
Is it even possible? I looked at an Acura RDX, today.

1BADSS396

Chief Pot Stirrer
Reaction score
All the Macans come with a turbo, even the base 4-banger.

Then I do not understand this statement: I "thought" about a Turbo. But, they were way more money and not enough more ponies to be worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeaGeiger9
Back