1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SBC 406 build?

Discussion in 'Engine Swaps & Builds' started by bobkyle2, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

Hit a snag at the machine shop, Guess we're going to .040 over... Hes also going to deck it.

2. slims

slims If you cant have the truck you love, love the truc

All other plans stay the same?

3. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

Going to be using .200 dome Speed pro pistons. (Like 13.4:1 compression at stock deck height with 64cc Comb chambers,

Scat 5.7 Hbeams, Scat 9000 crank.....

Heads, I'm stuck between with bumping into another class and running some pro comp aluminum heads. 2.05/1.60 210 runners

Or going for broke and peeking into a set of RHS Iron heads.

64cc chambers,220ish runners, 2.02 1.60 valves.

I've got two choices

Elgine 280/488 lift, ....Running with rhodes lifters.... Went with this cam originally because i was going to try to sneak into a class. But if i go the aluminum heads route i will automatically get thrown in with the wolves....
    And i have a 540 lift solid cam (I've not looked at the cam card on this cam in a long time, i do remember it was 540 and solid.) .... Would have to have different valve springs then.

And i've never build an engine of this stature, lol..... I need to talk to someone to make sure this whole combo is going to work.

This started out being a simple thing... And exploded into a front porch of new body panels and parts :/

4. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

I'm open to suggestions. I'm sure there are some that know more about this stuff than me.

5. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

Still in the machine shop :( lol

6. slims

slims If you cant have the truck you love, love the truc

Damn! What's taking so long?

7. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

I dunno, He was backed up when i dropped it off. I told him to take his time, I got along road of body work,lol...

8. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

Finally! Called today, and said its done. 416 dollars?? He quoted me 460,So i guess i got a deal maybe. I think my last block i had done was much more than that.

He bored it another .010 making it a .040 over... What they call a 408

Decked it, He didn't get into what he decked but talking to him when i dropped it off, We didn't want to "Zero Deck" it.

Cleaned and hot tanked,block and crank. And he also used some kind of acid or some other. That was an extra like 75 Because he didn't want to turn the crank any further he said it would be best if we were going to save the crank to just do that. (I don't know if he actually did save the crank, I forgot to ask him) I'm not oging to use that crank in this engine. I will be buying all new.

Said he saved my freeze plugs and cam bearings. Freeze plugs never came out. And he pulled the cam bearings out and installed some special ones. He threw those in for free. Said they are about the best ones.

I was half asleep trying to talk to him. So i'm not sure what else he said lol ... Probably will be a week or so before i pick it up. We are headed to Vanleer TN to race.

Accepting donations or sponsors :lol:

9. Horns

Horns The Real Shaggy

I love a good engine build! Have fun with the 400. They're getting harder and harder to find.

I also would go with vortec heads. 2 things you're going to run into though. You'll need to machine steam Ports, and you can't run a huge cam with stock vortec heads. GM specs .475 lift max, but with different casting tolerances it can be as low as .450 max. They also come from the factory with pressed in rocker studs. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them with screw in studs.

~Via Mobile now Free

10. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

Yeah, my cam is like .540....

I will more than likely be running a set of Aluminum pro comp heads, that have been worked over really hard...With 230cc runners 64cc chambers,Loaded good.... But really looking for a set of Iron Dart heads or something. Seems a bit pricey.

If i run Iron heads i can swap cams, and run a different class. But the Aluminum heads automatically throw me into a class i don't really wanna be in.