1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SBC 406 build?

Discussion in 'Engine Swaps & Builds' started by bobkyle2, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

Well many moons ago(08), i sent my 400 block to get bored and crank polished. While waiting, I got pretty sick and ended up in the hospital. I had a buddy pick the motor up, He started to put the bottom end together, When he found the rods were roached...So i just had him put it in storage.When i got out, I just put all my parts i had ordered up. I had not touched the motor since...

Till saturday...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:chipper:

Its a 400 block, Bored .30 ..(Hopefully it will clean up)

Figured ya'll could help me choose parts... Low budget slow build... Here is some parts i already have.... And might have some questions about what to use on some things. Like intakes and what not. I have a crap ton of parts. Trying not to spend alot of cash.

Have new Eagle H beams coming 5.7 (the stock 400's were trash and they were 5.565)

Melling H/V oil pump and hardened shaft
    Gear drive
    Hardened push rods
    Main studs (Its a 2 bolt block)
    Valve springs (I'm pretty sure they were like 520 lift springs)

The cam ( Probably won't stay in the engine) is a cheap elgin cam

Roller rockers... Don't even remember the name, but they are 1.5 :lol:
    Rocker studs

Rhoads lifters ... Have to try to get some Vacuum

The pistons were just speed pro flat tops... But they were for the 5.565 rods. So i have them on craigslist trying to get rid of them. And will be going in with Dome pistons of some sort.

I have no heads lined up, And will probably be crap when i do find some.Unless something pops up on craigslist super cheap.(Unless someone wants to make a donation? :thinking: )

If you guys have any recomendations let me know. :D

I will start a build thread for the truck. When i get some work done on it. It had a 468 in it last, And i didn't cut it much slack. I'm sure its going to need everything from the bellhousing back.. Plus the front diff :lol: Its a 85 K5 blazer

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

I forgot to say, Its going back to the machine shop tomorrow. :lol:

3. 66nova

66nova Doctor Bob - Fastest Doctor Around

Your list doesn't like a bad start assuming your block checks out ok.

Since you don't have an intake yet, I would look for a set of vortec heads. They are going to be your best bang for your buck to get the flow that 406 will want.

If the block is not cracked any where, but the cylinders won't hone. I wouldn't be scared to take another 0.010 out of it and make it a 408. My previous 2 motors where 408s and had a lot of high rpm nitrous passes. One of them is still running in a little fox body mustang.

Good luck man!

4. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

How was the cooling on that 408?

I've never used a vortec head. And i think the heads are going to be my biggest downfall. Unless i can come up with something. I've used the center bolt heads. (I even think i have a set of center bolts laying around) ...

5. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

I think i might go the Vortec route.. Are there any vortec heads i should stay away from?

You have done spoke up... Your going to have to deal with me till the end! :uhoh:

6. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

I know a lot of local guys here are running Vortec heads because they are a ton cheaper than A/M heads and they flow great.

I'll be watching this thread for progress reports!

7. 66nova

Nope. Never any cooling issues. It ran 180-190 all the time. I do have a very good radiator and fan though.

As far as I know, all of the vortec heads are basically the same. Maybe someone that knows more about the different castings will chime in.

8. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

Thanks... I think i will go that route. Did you drill for steam ports? Do you use the 400 gaskets?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  9. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 BAMF club

H beam rods.... Not I beam... Had a brain fart there, i guess.

10. 66nova

Any stock head that wasn't built for a 400 will need steam holes.

There are some great 400 vortec builds on the web. Ill see if I can find some.