1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM IFS 8.25 axle stub play - is it time to rebuild?

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by marioski, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Zembonez

Zembonez I hate black wheels...

No doubt. The repair will be a lot less expensive now than it would have been if it failed on the road... plus the down time would suck.

2. Bowtie2Sierra

Bowtie2Sierra ?

Nice work. It will be good having the piece of mind that it is taken care of before your next road trip.

By the way....Welcome to the site.

3. marioski

marioski I'm NEW... What now?

Thanks for the welcomes!

Definitely... I do about 30-35K miles in a good year (already put 30K on this truck since I bought it) and usually keep them to around 200-250K miles. It will definitely be good piece of mind especially since after Ohio I am planning a trip out to Yellowstone / Idaho with my kids.

I've been attempting to find some torque specs on this site and other forums. Maybe you guys might know these

Front Differential Mounting Bolts (the 4 bolts that hold it up)
    CV Axles to diff axle shafts (I believe those were 60ft lbs, just not 100% sure)
    front driveshaft retaining bolts at yoke

I have all my other specs ready and just waiting for the diff to come back. Tonight I cleaned up the steering knuckle hub mounting flanges for the new hubs to go in smoothly. Also inspected the driveshaft u-joint and that looks good. Can't wait to get her back together. As much as I love my Mustang, I don't like it as a daily driver. It gets annoying fast and I miss my truck. LOL

4. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

Yeah, you could have been this guy on another site.

5. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

Real smart.....4wd on a highway :ohnoes:

:wtf?:It's not fixed yet?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  6. Bowtie2Sierra

Bowtie2Sierra ?

I had a dumbass moment about 5 years ago and did this. I was pulling my buddies boat out of the water and I always used 4HI with his particular boat due to the size and wet ramp. I was about 5 miles down the road before I realized I never took it out of 4HI. Fortunately no damage.

7. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

I've done it as well....about a mile at 40 maybe.But this guy was ''at speed'' and the diff was smoking :wtf?:

8. Bowtie2Sierra

Bowtie2Sierra ?

Yeah, slightly different situations from ours. :lol:

9. marioski

marioski I'm NEW... What now?

Well of course the broken bolt gremlin god had to come visit me today. I was dong some prep work today in the morning before work and cleaning up the mounting surfaces where the diff mounts to and the surfaces on the knuckles where the hubs mount. I also had new oem sway bar bushings to install, that I never got to when I installed my new lca's and uca's a month go. I figured now would be a perfect time to do it.

So of course the last bolt had other plans for me. And yes that's my ugly ass mug shot in the pic as we used a forward facing cam thru the wheel well.

[​IMG]

Before anyone says anything, nope I did not apply any super human torque to it. The head just snapped off using my 3/8 drive. I already have new bolts on order. I retapped the remaining 3 good holes as it's a M10x1.50 thread and I have that tap Now it will be time to bust out the grinding wheel, torch, and some left handed drill bits and put them to use, and say a prayer and do the broken bolt dance. Hope this puppy comes out. My last resort is to just weld on a thread stud.

Oh and the shop just called. Diff was completed about 2 hours ago. Not bad, 1.5 day turn aroudn time. Going to pick that up in the morning. Hopefully get the truck back on thr road sometime tomorrow.

10. Hickspanic

Hickspanic There once was a man from Nantucket

sucks that it broke, good luck etting it fixed
    glad that the diff is good to go

damn, you are uglier than daddy:jester: