1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM IFS 8.25 axle stub play - is it time to rebuild?

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by marioski, Jun 6, 2013.

1. marioski

marioski I'm NEW... What now?

One step ahead of you on that one bud. Tried Kroil and Vise Grips, didn't budge. Vice Grips kept on slipping. So I soaked it down with Kroil to let it do it's magic while I'm at work and probably over night. Gotta put some heat on that sucker in the morning and use a pipe wrench instead.

Cross your fingers.

2. Hickspanic

Hickspanic There once was a man from Nantucket

I personally have had much better luck with PB Blaster

3. marioski

Never tried that stuff. I get Kroil by the box full as my dads a head machinist. He's my last resort to get this broken bolt out and use his shop. We'll see if she moves tomorrow.

4. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

I've heard of people using a mix of 50/50 mix of 100% acetone and dextron/mercron automatic transmission fluid.

5. marioski

All done... well except the damn bolt. She was not budge. For now it's being held on by one bolt, as I couldn't get to my dad's shop tonight due to some severe tornado type weather (had a funnel cloud go over our town). We will just cut the bolt off and weld a stud on, no big deal and will serve it's function just fine.

[​IMG]

Took all by 10 minutes to raise her up in there and get her bolted in. Drives good.. No humming noise, no weird vibrations, so far so good. We will see over the weekend.

6. Lukedawg84

Lukedawg84 I'm NEW... What now?

I’m having same issue

I’m having the same issue at the moment! The front stub axle shaft wobbles like crazy! And because of it the truck gets a bad vibration while under acceleration. I figured it was the outer stub axle bearing so I changed it, along with the seal. After doing so it still wobbled and had a vibration. So I opted to get a new/used ifs center section from a guy down the road that was parting out his truck. I inspected the new/used unit and it seemed fine, with only 90k on it. After installing it I took the truck for test drive and the vibration is still there. So I climbed under the front end and checked it and this unit is doing the same thing! I also need to add the with the old unit my 4x4 stopped working when the vibration started, and after installing the new/used unit even with the vibration the 4x4 now works! I also need to add that, This axle wobble was never an issue until I installed my Rough Country leveling kit, which consists of lift blocks in the rear, and torsion bar lift keys for the front. With the lift keys installed and in the truck it puts the CV shafts on a pretty bad downward angle putting stress/pulling down on both the stub axle and long axles on the ifs. Also the angle is so bad that the cv shaft boots are rubbing and pinching so bad that they wore through and now I need new cv shaft boots! If anyone could help me out with any of these issues and how to go about fixing them that would be much Appreciated! Thx in advance! Luke!

Last edited: May 28, 2018