Gave My Tranny A Treat Today (pic Heavy)

txab

Don't get stuck on stupid!
Reaction score
Drill the pan and install your own drain plug. Easy to do.

You can braze the fitting to the pan, which is what I prefer to do. Or bolt it up using the 2 included seals. About $4-$5 at most places

Dorman 65128 Drain Plug

41FGaucqtML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

daddy

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread title had me a bit scared.

dirtyoldman

I'm now on Medicare,officially old.
Reaction score
When I flushed mine I replaced all the fluid with Dexron 6. Its a far superior fluid to Dexron 3, and its backwards compatible meaning it can replace Dexron 3. All the oil companies have even stopped making Dexron 3, they only make Dexron 6 now. As I'm sure you might have seen when shopping for your fluid, you can only get Dexron 3 in the parts store brands now since companies like Mobil and Castrol only make 6 now.
When I fist put the Dexron 6 in mine, I noticed that it shifted slightly better. But the biggest benefit I noticed was that from then on, my transmission temps were always 5-10 degrees cooler than it was before I replaced all the fluid.
Didn't know that,I did see where transmissions built after '05(IIRC)can't use DexronIII.Thought I'd better stick with III,next time I might do a complete flush and may use VI,we'll see.

Good job Gary! Messes come with the job some times. :lol: That old fluid looked in great shape. How many miles were on it?
About 40,000,had it chnged right after I bought it in '08.Thought I better have it changed since I didn't know it's history.I thought it looked pretty good too.

:thumbs: Trannies always like treats

I doubt the same pan that fit Louis's would fit yours. Half tons have 4L60s while the 3/4 tons have 4L80s. They probably make one though that'll fit the bigger tranny.

Yep :lol:

Had that in the back of my mind but forgot to check.I'll look into that to see what cost is,being on a fixed income I have to be carefull where I spend my money....well that or I might get into trouble with Grumpy :lol:

ScottyBoy

No, that's not a banana in my pants.
Reaction score
I doubt the transmission shop put Dexron 6 in my transmission when they rebuilt it a few weeks ago. I will have to flush it and fill it with Dexron 6 in a few months or I may just use Amsoil this time. It looks like the Amsoil is actually cheaper than the Dexron 6. :thumbs:

dirtyoldman

I'm now on Medicare,officially old.
Reaction score
I doubt the transmission shop put Dexron 6 in my transmission when they rebuilt it a few weeks ago. I will have to flush it and fill it with Dexron 6 in a few months or I may just use Amsoil this time. It looks like the Amsoil is actually cheaper than the Dexron 6. :thumbs:

I really want to add a temp gauge,and to do that I'll need a deeper pan.When I do that(maybe before next summer)I'll be giving Nick a call.

Nick,does your ATF come in gallon jugs?

Wyley87

The '96 and I have a LOVE/HATE Relationship
Reaction score

It's cheaper because they don't pay gm for the license. If you look on the Amsoil site it says "recommended for use in applications specifying Dexron 6"

Dexron III is the same way that there is no license for it. You can run Dexron III in any gm trans an it wil shift just fine. Only difference is the drain interva is shorterl. Dexron 6 is a better fluid but if you look in your manual it used to say "if dextral 6 is not available used Dexron III" I'm not sure what it says since the changed the license though.

Sent from Texas

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoraCate9
Back