Did you go to college, and did you end up working in that field?

What have people done for higher education?

• Went to college

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Currently, or for a long time, worked in their major

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Worked in a field irrelevant to major

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Didn't go

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Went back after a break

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dropped out

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Cowboy Cadillac

Ain't no trash in my trailer!
Reaction score
I never went into post secondary education. I always figured real world knowledge was worth twice what you might learn in a classroom. Book smarts only get you so far in todays economy IMHO.

OldCracker29

I've been knocked down drug out and left for dead
Reaction score
I didn't go, but sure wish I would have. I've tried getting a couple of jobs away from the construction field, but to no avail without that piece of paper.

ScottyBoy

No, that's not a banana in my pants.
Reaction score
I decided to go to college 4 years after I graduated high school. My major was electrical engineering. Big mistake. I had forgotten a LOT by then, so they put me in remedial math classes. I ended up dropping out after a year because my grades were so bad that I lost my scholarship. Yes, I said scholarship. I got a full scholarship from the New Orleans Fire Department because my dad was disabled in the line of duty. (He hurt his back falling off a ladder truck). My brothers and I all got scholarships as part of his pension. My dumb ass waited 4 years to use it and I ended up wasting it. I regret it every day that I didn't go right in after High school. I would have done a LOT better and not flunked out. :facepalm:

Black02Silverado

Sponsor
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my BAS degree in Business Management. Took me 26yrs but I finally got it right before I retired.

Like Jarrad said, get your degree. It makes the difference of getting into an interview, no paper no interview for the most part.

Darkanion

The space intentionally left blank.
Reaction score
I went to a local Junior College to get my Associates Degree, showing I had all the "basics" out of the way. At the end of the Associates, I couldn't make up my mind "what I wanted to be when I grew up." So, I took a break and went to work full-time, to give me time to figure that out..

I had thought about accounting.. and law.. and a few other things. I really didn't want to do computer work because I enjoyed it too much as a hobby. So, I resisted that.. Here I am 20+ years later, doing computer work, thinking "I really should've gotten a degree in this.. It sure would open some more doors.." :dunno:

Last edited:

NCSU_05_FX4

Underwater Engineer
Reaction score
What did you go to college for if you went? I went so I could "get a good job after finishing."
What did you study? Mechanical Engineering
Are you working in that field now? I work in the engineering field but not mechanical, more civil/structural.
If you didnt go, what did you do? N/A

Im questioning my need to be here, as of this very moment it has no value to me. Just thought this would be interesting to see.

Not having a college degree today is like not having a HS diploma 50 years ago. Yes you can survive without one, but you'll likely be better off if you did.

Last edited:

CJ Hungus

Reaction score
Yes, got my BS in Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Law Enforcement.

I am working in Corporate security so somewhat the same field I guess.

I'm not sure I want to do this for the rest of my life so we will see how things go.

Bigredmariner

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Reaction score
A lot of good advice here, seriously consider staying in college. Stick it out you will not regret it. As you can see the biggest regret by most of us is NOT getting it. Yes we have all done alright and provided for our families, but at the same time it could be better if we had the paper. Good luck in your decision, make an informed decision on this. It will effect the rest of your life.:cheers:

The_Chupacabra

Don't worry, I only drink goat blood...
Reaction score
I got my BA in business administration and entrepreneurship (double major) and minors in marketing and management. I use those everyday right now as the manager of my store. I could have dropped out and went to work for the family business like my dad did but he continually told me that if I didn't finish he would kick my @$$. I may have derailed myself. I really got the double major as a fallback on because I wanted to be able to support myself if our business ever failed after 72 years. If I wouldn't have done it I wouldn't have found out that I really like the idea of starting a business.

Stay in and get r dun. If not for the job you may or may not have now, then get something to fall back on that you enjoy.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dannytomany
Back