Did you go to college, and did you end up working in that field?

What have people done for higher education?

• Went to college

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Currently, or for a long time, worked in their major

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Worked in a field irrelevant to major

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Didn't go

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Went back after a break

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dropped out

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

mr7confused

vv I remember my first beer
Reaction score
What did you go to college for if you went?
What did you study?
Are you working in that field now?
If you didnt go, what did you do?

Im questioning my need to be here, as of this very moment it has no value to me. Just thought this would be interesting to see.

OPGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.
No.
No.
Ski.

Stay in school. /thread

mr_bots

People in glass houses sink ships
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes
Civil engineering - structural
Yes

Stay in school, you'll probably regret dropping out later. Most companies over-value that piece of paper these days to make it worth while.

Bigredmariner

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advise from a 43 year old on the verge of retirement.... Stay in college and get the paper, it will be of value to you for the rest of your life.

I have no paper, I can fix anything under the sun. But most employers won't give you the time of day for an interview unless you have the paper. My biggest regret is not going to college.

Boilerup15

Hate Milk! Got Beer?
Reaction score
Went to Purdue for Landscape Arcitecture and didn't finish. Worst mistake of my life was not putting 110% into my college school work.

OPGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advise from a 43 year old on the verge of retirement.... Stay in college and get the paper, it will be of value to you for the rest of your life.

I have no paper, I can fix anything under the sun. But most employers won't give you the time of day for an interview unless you have the paper. My biggest regret is not going to college.

Werd. This is 100% truth, let me tell you from experience. :uhoh:

buRRp

Reaction score
I went to tech school for just over a year for industrial welding. But kinda lost interest at that point in my life. Now I'm 35 and kinda wishing I finished. Not saying my job nowcis bad but I would've had more options when I was younger. Stay in and finish. Just gotta tuff it out.

Reaction score
Undergraduate degree in Computer Information Systems & Logistics/Supply Chain (double major). Went back and earned a graduate degree (MBA).

I'm not doing anything with programming but my current job involves logistics and supply chain.

I agree with the others that earning a college degree is the best thing you can do for yourself and your future. If it was easy, anyone would do it. That piece of paper shows future employers that you have dedication and ambition to achieve your goals. It also indicates your ability and willingness to sacrifice and put forth the effort required to be successful.

I'll go a step further and say an undergraduate degree is no longer enough to separate yourself from the crowd. Earning your graduate degree will open up more doors. In my case, it was more about the networking and the people I got to know than the knowledge I actually gained.

NMRam

Still Here Because I'm Not There
Reaction score
I went to college, finished my Bachelors and did the course work for a Masters in Agricultural Economics/Agricultural Business.

I do not work in an Ag Econ/Ag Business field, and never have since I got out of college, although I have always worked in Agriculture. I spent several years working as a Crop Consultant, then did a couple years of general Ranch work. Then I started doing Conservation work, and have been in that for the last 10 years in various forms. I am currently doing Snow Survey and Water Supply Forecasting, focusing on providing runoff information to farmers, irrigation districts, reservoir and water managers, etc. so that they can make water management decisions.

Although I haven't worked in my degree area, a college degree (and associated education requirements) were required for all my jobs but the Ranch work.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dannytomany
Back