1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black02Silverado's 2019 Silverado

Discussion in 'OPEN TRUCK DISCUSSION' started by Black02Silverado, Jan 29, 2019.

1. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, most vehicles have modules running the lighting these days, so adding to a circuit will throw codes.

On Freightliners for instance, interior lighting will actually be disabled if drivers go scotch-locking circuits into the existing wiring like they did back in the day.

2. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

No pictures due to the fact that my hands were a little messy with gear oil. Man that stuff smells nasty.

So lets start with changing the front diff oil. You need a 13mm to remove the four bolts that hold up the cover over the front diff. I would imagine it would be different if you have a Z71 with the skid plates. Then the front diff is different and that it actually has a cover like the rear diff. No drain plug. Bummer GM, what were you thinking?? The fill plug is takes a 3/8's drive ratchet.

I took the plug out, and sucked out as much fluid as I could. I basically got out a little over a quart. That is all I could get out. It is a little tight up in there and I had to use a 3/8 inch breaker bar. The ratchets I have were to thick.

Using AMSOIL's Severe Gear 75w-90 squeeze pack. I cut a tube long enough to go into the fill hole. About 9" long and put the other end on the cut tip of the squeeze package. Then just squeezed it in. So nice and easy and no pumping from a bottle. It took a little over a qt, if I had to guess maybe 8oz more before it reached the bottom of the fill plug.

Once that was all done, I put the plug back in and the splash shields back up.

I then went back to the rear diff.

10mm bolts hold the cover on. The gasket is reuse-able.

I took the plug out and stuck an Allen wrench in and the fluid was about a half inch from the bottom of the plug opening.

I measured the fluid that I drained out and it was 2qts and 12oz. So that is basically what I put back in and confirmed it with the Allen wrench.

Before I took the bolts out I tried to tighten them to see how snug they were. Well they were pretty tight. They also had what looked like red loctite on them. So when I put them back on. I didn't put anything on them and just snugged them down the best I could using a 1/4" drive ratchet.

OldCracker29, drperry and Darkanion like this.
  3. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 Life is so strange with its changing yes indeed!

:crackup: You ain't kidding. I swear the aroma gets entangled with the nose hairs and you smell that crap for most of the day. I can't believe they don't put a drain plug on the diffs. :facepalm:

Black02Silverado likes this.
  4. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

OK. I had to replace the passenger side mirror cap. It found it's way to the side of the garage door and broke the tabs that hold it on so I had to get a new one. So I did a little video on how they come off. Not easy like the K2's. You have to take the mirror apart to get the cap off.

5. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 Life is so strange with its changing yes indeed!

I wonder how many garage doors truck mirrors have fallen victim to? :jester:
    I know I've replaced a lot of aluminum casings on the sides of them from being hit.:facepalm:
    Good info Nick. :cheers:

6. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

I bet. I'm just glad it wasn't worse.

OldCracker29 likes this.