1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuilding A GM 8.25 IFS Differential **56K Beware! Pic Heavy**

Discussion in 'Gear Central' started by Bigredmariner, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 1990 K1500

1990 K1500 I'm NEW... What now?

Driver's side output shaft stuck

Thanks for the pics and your post. It's definitely made my rebuild easier. One problem that I have is, the driver side output shaft (short shaft) won't come out. I've used a slide hammer, soaked in wd40, still will not release. ...ANY help would be appreciated. ...

2. Smacananny

Smacananny I'm NEW... What now?

I fought for over an hour with mine. In the end I brought it to a shop where a friend worked. He attached a slide hammer and wrapped a strap around the slide and pulled it as fast as he could. It popped right out first try. He said you get up alot more speed doing that because your body isn't anticipating the impact of the slide hammer stopping.

3. 1990 K1500

1990 K1500 I'm NEW... What now?

Thanks for the reply

I will try that. I guess my next idea will be to try and cut the pin that runs through the carrier to get room to drive the output shaft out from the inside. I think my main problem is that I removed the diff from the truck so I don't really have a way to hold it...Thinking about making a mount and welding it to the table. ...

4. Smacananny

Smacananny I'm NEW... What now?

I ratchet strapped mine to forklift forks but you could ratchet strap it to a trailer tounge, or heavy table or lawnmower, whatever you have around haha

5. MXG286

MXG286 I'm NEW... What now?

I have a spare Front Diff, complete but somewhat disassembled. It needs carrier bearings replaced but other than that it looked to be in good shape. Includes long and short axles If anyone is interested in buying it send me a message. I live outside of Philadelphia. Looking to sell it for $100.00. Diff is off of a 2003 Silverado 1500 4wd Z71 5.3L

6. 02Silvy

02Silvy I'm NEW... What now?

Hi all, new to this thread thing but Im in need of some guidance.
    First off thank you for this detailed write up it helped greatly in getting my front 8.25 it's rebuilt. My problem is after I had everything reassembled the passenger side axle sits out about quarter of an inch between the flange and housing. I did not look at it before I removed it so I'm not sure if it is normal or not.
    Thanks for any extra info on this I'd appreciate it

7. Whitey

Whitey I'm NEW... What now?

Whitey

I am trying to take my carrier out of my 04 Chevy 3/4 ton .The carrier don't drop out . Tried everything I think even got the pin for the spiders moved back enough to try and press out the axial . I have put on 5.000 psi won't move. Any help.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  8. Cyborg

Cyborg I'm NEW... What now?

99 Silverado 4wd

Can someone tell me what bearings and seals are needed for the outer axles. I have a new differential, but need to know what parts need to be replaced in the passenger side tube and drivers side. Thanks for the write up!

Thanks

9. chad Williamson

chad Williamson I'm NEW... What now?

I am new here and will probably sound like an idiot but the pics of this whole thread are blurry. Is there something I am doing wrong that will not show me a clear picture? Thanks for the post. From what I can tell, it looks great!

10. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 I've been knocked down drug out and left for dead

:welcome: to :tmc:
    I don't know why, but the pics are blurry on my end to. I remember looking at this thread when he started it 100 years ago, but don't remember if the pics were blurry. :dunno: