1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P0449-How To Replace Evap. Vent Solenoid

Discussion in 'Tech How To' started by Bigredmariner, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jamie883

jamie883 I'm NEW... What now?

I just wanted to say thank you for the information. When I bought the part, the gentleman at the dealership printed the same procedure as your 1st attatchment, but it was black and white so the pictures were blurry and I couldn't make them out. Your 2nd attatchment was extreamly helpful as it really put things in place for me. More so than the procedure itself. I am curious, what is the point of the filter box and why to they want it placed above the transmission? Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out once I complete the project.

2. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner Administrator

I think they just wanted the filter higher so it wouldn't suck up a bunch of dirt, at least that's what I've heard. Glad it helped you out and do keep us posted.

Welcome aboard too.:thumbs:

3. ehrocha

ehrocha I'm NEW... What now?

Thanks for the info!! I am goin to attempt to replace the valve myself. The dealer wanted 480 to do it, I think I can handle it myself. I did have a question though in the instructions it mentions on step 10 for the 04-07 Silverado to remove the transmission support and lower the assembly. From the picture where it shows the new location of the filter box it doesn't seem necessary. I don't want to have to mess wih the tranny!

Somebody please let me know!

4. Bigredmariner

I didn't remove the bracket, there is enough room to slide the hose with the new filter box up in there and zip tie it off. Super easy job and it will stay put. I was just looking at mine last night, and this is something I did 18 months ago. If you have anymore questions just ask.:cheers:

5. ehrocha

ehrocha I'm NEW... What now?

Thanks I thought so, it didn't seem like it would be necessary to mess with the tranny. I am going to buy the part from gm parts direct.com its 95 with shippin. Ill post back when its complete

6. Bigredmariner

Good deal, it's an easy fix and will save you a ton of money doing it yourself. My dealership wanted some crazy figure to try to fix it.

7. jamie883

jamie883 I'm NEW... What now?

Update

It was six weeks ago now, but after reading your procedures and printing them off for reference, I replaced that part with out any problems what so ever. It was even smoother than a routine oil change. It took about 13 feet of hose but everything worked great and I did not have to mess with the transmission either. It took me longer to jack up the truck than to do the actual work. Great post and great procedures with pictures. I would not have been able to do this task with out them. It wound up being way easier than it first looked. I also found out that nothing was wrong with my old gas cap, so I was able to take the new one back and get my money back. The engine light has been off since I replaced that solenoid. I'll be using this site whenever I have to do any repairs on my truck. Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  8. Bigredmariner

Thanks Jamie, glad it helped you out.:cheers:

9. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

Great write up. :thumbs:

It would be great if everyone that has a code pop up, post it on here and how they repaired the problem. Over time we could have a nice library of information.:)

10. Bigredmariner

This thread is our single most viewed (information) thread on the site, well the Hot Women thread is but... Yes, if everyone would take the time to write up a thread when they fix something it would help others out tremendously.