How To- Detail Engine Bay

Carolinaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:tmc: Glad y'all like it you should see some of the engine bays over on Adam's Forum. You could use the chrome for mirrors and eat off most of the surfaces

Spike Strider

Going to Hell in a Bucket but at least I'm Enjoyin
Reaction score
:thumbs:

Nice write up. Instead of a hose, I use a pump up pesticide sprayer so that there is no danger of spraying too hard...

Carolinaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea! I use the shut off valve on my Adam's Firehose Nozzle and that keeps it so it can't happen

Spike Strider

Going to Hell in a Bucket but at least I'm Enjoyin
Reaction score
That's a good idea! I use the shut off valve on my Adam's Firehose Nozzle and that keeps it so it can't happen

Yeah, but you can't spray the water and the cleaner on in 1 step like I do ;p.. (I happen to use OPC). I just keep the thing full at the strength I want and use it for spraying down tires or whatever else. Keep one with just water for rinsing.
I love my firehose nozzle.. best type to use IMHO
Can't wait for the spring to polish out my new WHIP (black paint). Paint is in good shape except for miscrop scratching. Can even see where someone once wrote 'please wash me'

nubuilder

Why buy new when you can restore?
Reaction score
I really need to do both trucks. :facepalm: :(

Should anything be avoided when cleaning the engine bay?
I've seen guys say to put a bag over the alternator and avoid the intake box.
I take it this should be done on a cold engine to avoid damage or do you use so little water that it wouldn't cool the block down fast anyways?
Would it hurt to use a degreaser on an old engine or would that just create more problems by loosening up dirt that may be plugging a leak? (I know I've got some good dirt/oil build-up on the front of my block)

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to fWONk things up....which is why I've never done it.

:tmc:

Carolinaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to do both trucks. :facepalm: :(

Should anything be avoided when cleaning the engine bay?
I've seen guys say to put a bag over the alternator and avoid the intake box.
I take it this should be done on a cold engine to avoid damage or do you use so little water that it wouldn't cool the block down fast anyways?
Would it hurt to use a degreaser on an old engine or would that just create more problems by loosening up dirt that may be plugging a leak? (I know I've got some good dirt/oil build-up on the front of my block)

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to fWONk things up....which is why I've never done it.

:tmc:

I think a heavy APC would be fine, I used 100% APC on that application. I used to do that all the time with my old Suburban (GMT400 98' ) never had a problem. Just the keys to it are keeping the engine cool and no high pressure

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dannytomany
Back