HID and LED Lights Install - GMT-400

B

Bernie

OK, so a electrolytic capacitor no bigger than 20 V DC (15 preferred) and 500uf....right?

What does "uf" stand for (just out of curiosity)?

Microfarads

Actually, I think anywhere from 500uf to 2500uf should work fine.

The bigger the number the more of a charge the capacitor can hold. I don't know the resistance of the coil that energizes the relay, so I can't calculate it exactly.

ScottyBoy

No, that's not a banana in my pants.
Reaction score
Matt, if you have a Radioshack close by, then try this 1000uf capacitor. If it doesn't work, you'll only be out 2 bucks at most. :thumbs:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...Name=Type&filterValue=Electrolytic+capacitors

pRS1C-2264678w345.jpg

nubuilder

Why buy new when you can restore?
Reaction score
Great, I'll pick one up tomorrow (RadioShack is only a 7 minute drive away; we actually have 2 for some stupid reason - can't believe they both are still open).

ScottyBoy

No, that's not a banana in my pants.
Reaction score

nubuilder

Reaction score
PS-And I do agree that Bernie should post some write ups for us to learn from him he's my hero.

:crackup:
rofl-199.gif
lolol0nb.gif
laugh3.gif
laughing1.gif
coffeescreen.gif

I'm nobody's hero GMC... Well, maybe my cat's. :D

Damn, the shits getting deep. :D2

GMC, I don't have a moisture problem in my headlights (brand new TYC Elegante non-projectors [they do make the Elegante in a projector, but not for the GMT-400's]). The problem was in my front corner marker light (the little one, not the big on on the front) which seems to be cleared up now, but there is a dead bug in it from leaving the bulb and socket out for 2 nights.

I picked up the capacitor today. $1.68 with tax. Man, that was a little out of my price range :lol:. I'm waiting for the sun to go down a little before I go out and try it because it is really hot here (I think the hottest so far this year).

I'll let you know how it goes.

nubuilder

Reaction score
IT WORKS!!!!!
:wookie: :fingertime: :wookie: :fingertime: :wookie: :fingertime: :wookie: :fingertime: :wookie: :fingertime:

Give me a little bit and I'll try to summarize this and draw a new diagram (at least to the best I can).

nubuilder

Reaction score
Final Wiring Diagram

wiringfinalsetup.jpg

The capacitor from RadioShack (here) did the job. Now the lows don't flick off and back on when you turn the highs on. The lows do stay on a hair after you turn the knob off, but it is only like 1/2 a second (hardly noticeable).

If anyone has questions, post'em up.

Special thanks to Bernie :flag: and Dennis :cflag: for helping me out so much and sticking with me through this.

Last edited:
B

Bernie

Of course it works, we're expets... err...ecxparts... err... professinals... err... guys who know STUFF. :D2

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dannytomany
Back