1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Aftermarket Battery

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Carolinaboy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. drperry

drperry Fox 1! Fox 2! Fox 3!

When they work good, they work good... The problem is, these days, a lot more of the "not good" ones, make it to the shelves :dunno:

2. M.Cueva

M.Cueva jrrod2004

PC1250 or the PC1500. Of if you have a sears nearby you, look for one of these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850080000P
    (DieHard Automotive Battery, Platinum P-3 - Group Size 75/86D). It is a rebadged Odyssey.

3. M.Cueva

M.Cueva jrrod2004

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  4. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

I actually bought that same battery for my Suburban. But returned it later the same day when I read all the negative reviews about it. Seems there is a design flaw in the side post terminal design. But in a Ford, I'm betting he should have ho problems with it using the top posts. One of the mechanics at the sear Auto center said he's only seen 2 of those batteries swapped out and both because the side termial camee loose from the battery. (Thats nice to be telling a customer, isn't it?) If it wasn't for that one huge problem, I'd have one in my truck. Or else if my truck used a top post battery, I would have kept it.:dunno:

Here is a review from Sears' website"

"the side post terminals become loose on the platinum battery not worth the money"

"If you have a GM model that uses the side posts, this a terrible design. The same company that makes the DieHard Gold series DOES NOT make the Platinum. This could explain why the design is poor. I've had a Optima Yellow Top (Deep Cycle model) that has been sitting in my dad's garage for over 10 years and still has a 13.1 VDC charge. It's not even hooked up to any charger. I went to my local Sears hoping to get one that would fit my '00 Blazer (Size code 34 or 34/78) and they didn't have any in stock. They told me that the DieHard Platinum had a better warranty and should be better. Not even close!! It is a few bucks more expensive than the Yellow Top! I had problems starting and even had times when it cut out. I returned it after a week and got my money back. Imediately went to a performance store and picked up a Yellow Top. Spent less money too!"

"seeing the same problem as 1yr. falure,using the side post adapters,custmer car stalling, dieing,and wont start etc. seems like a very poor desgin the side posts are loose not built into the battery like other brands! 20yr master auto tech "

"Bought this battery 12/07. Failed 12/08. Up until failure worked fine and did the job here in northern new york state. The failure resulted from an unbonding problem of the positive side of the side mount. The way the side mounts are constructed appears fragile as plastic shielding surrounding the area around the side mount came loose. The battery was installed by Sears and the battery hold down was securely clamped. By the way for those of you who already own this battery beware the battery will test fine by plugging the tester on the top battery posts. This really confused the technician and caused considerable delay in determining why the vehicle wouldn't start."

5. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

It seems that if I don't drive my truck for more than three weeks the battery drains and I have to jump start it. Never had that problem before with the original AC Delco. :(

6. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

I've had that problem with just about EVERY battery I've had, including both red and yellow optimas. If I let it sit for 3-4 weeks (with the alarm armed) the battery would drain to the point where it wouldn't start (to around 10-11 volts) I stored my cutlass before in my garage for like 2 months without starting it, but with the alarm off, and it started up fine.:dunno: That was with a die hard gold. I'm guessing as long as there is no drain on it at ALL ,it should be fine sitting for that long. (Assuming the battery is still good)

7. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

The Platinum model is rated the highest by Consumer reports

8. KillaF150

KillaF150 I'm Ron Burgundy?

i've heard the optima yellow/red tops are great.

9. Ramjoe

Ramjoe Moderator

+1 ive always heard good stuff about optima. Pricey but worth it.

10. jdruzik

jdruzik I'm NEW... What now?

You could do a lot worse than choosing the Optima Red Top... It has over 800 CCA... I live high in the Oregon Cascades and temperatures are well below freezing most of the time, it always works...

[​IMG]