Leveling struts installed

mbarclay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stepped up one tire size (from a P275/60/R20 to a LT275/65/R20E) but when I went and tried to find a spare (since the spare is a 17" wheel), the guy at the tire shop and I rolled about 4 different size tires out to check them next to the tires on the truck. The closest thing I could find height wise was a 315/70/17. Both the 275/65/20 and the 315/70/17 are just shy of a 35" tire (of course the 315 is wider). The 10 ply rated Coopers that I put on also weigh quite a bit more than the stock 4 ply Goodyears too, so that didn't help mileage any!

Those stock goodyears only weigh around 45 pounds I think any tire is heavier than that.

Which leveling struts did you go with?

Actually tried out the 2.5" rough country struts. I've used bilstein before and so far these rc ride just as good. They aren't adjustable like the bils. Time will tell how they hold up

Darkanion

The space intentionally left blank.
Reaction score
Which leveling struts did you go with?

Actually tried out the 2.5" rough country struts. I've used bilstein before and so far these rc ride just as good. They aren't adjustable like the bils. Time will tell how they hold up

Thanks! I've been thinking about leveling up the front end of my Silverado and I've been looking at the Bilsteins. I was curious what other people were trying. :thumbs:

NMRam

Still Here Because I'm Not There
Reaction score
I think the Coopers weigh around 58# each in the 275/65/20 so that's roughly 33% heavier than the stock tire...in addition to being 1.5" taller.

I just used strut spacers to level mine. No issues yet!

mbarclay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Coopers weigh around 58# each in the 275/65/20 so that's roughly 33% heavier than the stock tire...in addition to being 1.5" taller.

I just used strut spacers to level mine. No issues yet!

Keep an eye on those ball joints. The 13+ trucks don't like those spacers. If you have problems look into the mevotech UCA's about $100 for the pair

NMRam

Still Here Because I'm Not There
Reaction score
I'm aware of the ball joint issues. It usually seems to affect 2.5"+ kits, and it doesn't seem to matter if you use spacers or struts...they both change the suspension geometry the same way. I've got about 10k miles on mine since I installed them and no movement so far. The Mevotech's are a cheap upgrade if it does have issues down the road.

mbarclay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you haven't had any issues it seems pretty hit or miss. Some guys even have the problem with mevotech's. It actually just affects the spacer kits a lot guys change the UCA's just to be safe with leveling struts. The spacers over extend the down travel and limits the up travel compared to struts. It's the over extending the down travel that causes the problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoraCate9
Back