1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To: 98+ S-series dash and steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'Tech How To' started by nubuilder, May 27, 2011.

1. nubuilder

nubuilder Why buy new when you can restore?

Thanks.

It wasn't all that bad. The sticker on the windshield said 148k and that it starts but runs rough (or something like that). The only thing that could be useful to me (as far as body parts go) would be the doors, driver's fender, and....well, that's it. The hood and pass. fender and damaged/gone along with the bumper and grill, and the rear bumper is a different style (it has plastic end caps whereas mine in all one piece and a wrap-around style like my Silverado).

I'd like to find some seats for my truck, but even if I wanted leather, they're SUPER hard to find and especially in gray (most were black or tan).

2. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

Very nicely done.

3. nubuilder

Thanks JIM. My only downfall was that there's no pics (which I'm kicking myself for). No one really has a pictured write-up for this. Most of it is pretty straight forward, but some things are just nice to see what the person is talking about.

4. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner Administrator

Nice work Matt, thanks for taking the time to put this together.:tmc:

5. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

Nice write up. And doesn't a 97 have a completely different dash than a 98+ ? :dunno: I know my 97 Blazer has a different dash than the 98+ ones. Are you trying to convert yours to the newer dash?

6. 07FX4Chick

07FX4Chick LIFETIME SUPPORTER

Great write up! :thumbs:

7. nubuilder

Not a problem! When I was looking for help, I wish the one I found would have gone into more detail.

You are correct Scotty. The 94-97 S10/Blazer is a different dash than the 98-04. This is for my red '98 S10 that I just got (although I don't know what all would be needed for a conversion; maybe everything I got would do it :dunno:).

Thanks Shanin.

I just hope when someone searches Google for dash or steering wheel removal that this pops up. :uhoh: :thumbs:

8. golfrattt

golfrattt I'm NEW... What now?

My god, this is the worst replacement part i've ever experienced in 30yrs of working on cars..

Appreciate all your work in submitting your experience. Actually, all taking the dashboard off did was give me a touch more visibility but i'm sitting in the same position i had to sit in when i had to change the clutch master cylinder. No way around it. This is the most assinine thing ever..

Going fwd, the net truck i buy is going to be a 50's-something where everything is right in front of you and not smothered or buried by something that was legislated by some California lying politician...

9. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner Administrator

Haha, newer cars are great until you have to work on them. Like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound sack! :lol: