1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8-speed transmission now standard on 6.2L Chevy GMC

Discussion in 'Transportation News' started by Zembonez, Jul 19, 2014.

1. mr_bots

mr_bots People in glass houses sink ships

This. How long did it take GM to get the 6 speeds tuned decent? Did they ever? I hated the stock tranny tune on my 2013.

From what I've read it CAN shift as fast as dual clutch transmissions but with GM's inability to tune a transmission I doubt we'll ever see that in the real world. Also, I don't know about 8 gears, the 6 speed seems to be a good mix of amount of shifting and gear spacing. My mom has a 14 Jeep GC with the ZF 8 speed in it and it seems that all it does is shift.

Do we know what kind of shifter GM is going to be using? There was talk when the K2XXs came out that they'd go electronic when the 8 speeds were rolled out after everyone on the internet did their normal bitching about the column shifter.

2. cRiPpLe_rOoStEr

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr We don't ride to provide a good story for the rice

I do like the convenience of an automatic, but I gotta have to agree. The problem is the EPA test procedure that is not so favorable to manuals.

3. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

CVT's seem to be a better way to go. They are getting more popular I take it since AMSOIL finally came out with a fluid for the CVT transmission.

4. cRiPpLe_rOoStEr

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr We don't ride to provide a good story for the rice

CVTs are good for compact cars with low torque inputs.