1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of DVR do you have?

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by Zembonez, Oct 26, 2011.

1. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

Right on. I just did the MoCa bridge, and have it running through the coax.

VOD is no more, but my Rokus and TVs have more than enough apps to cover any of the shows we wanted to demand

2. Darkanion

Darkanion The space intentionally left blank.

Tivo Roamio OTA for regular TV, plus an Amazon Fire TV for things that need apps.

3. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

Speak to me oh TiVo Bolt aficionados. I gather that the TiVo service is $149.99 a year, what all channels do you get? I looked online but got confused, not making sense, at least to this old guy. We are looking at ditching DirecTV. Getting tired of the hefty bill every month.

From what I gather, the TiVo Bolt is what I want since it does OTA. Also the Mini to get channels in two other rooms. How does this MoCo bridge work? Link of explanation would work.

Initial cost of equipment would be high but from what I have read it would be worth it. I can get 40 OTA channels here.

4. Darkanion

If you can receive the channels via an OTA antenna at your house, the Tivo Bolt will pick them up. It's not going to "give" you channels that you couldn't otherwise receive. That's not to say you can't subscribe to Netflix or Vudu or something else, but if your main plan is to get OTA channels, it can only record what an antenna at your house can receive.

You might give this a look for an estimate of the channels you can receive at your house.

https://www.antennaweb.org/Address

5. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

Tivo has lifetime subscription. Called "All in" I think. You can still find Roamios OTA out there from time to time. The Bolt is 4k, HDR capable. Doubt you really need that at this time.

But to future proof yourself somewhat then the Bolt is needed

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

Problem is we like a few shows on USA, and during the Holidays Lifetime and Hallmark. Plus Spike. So trying to figure out how to get those as well.

7. Darkanion

I know some folks who claim they save so much not paying for cable/satellite that they can afford to buy seasons of shows they "miss" from the networks they used to work. So, you might check Amazon, Apple, etc. to see if the shows you really want to see are available there.

Myself, I usually wait to see if those shows pop up several months later on Amazon Prime Video (for free, included with my Amazon Prime subscription). That's how I watch Dr Who, for example...

You might also check into services like Playstation VUE (does not require a Playstation), Sling TV, DirecTV Now, etc.

8. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

If I did away with cable today, i would have: (and currently do have, with the overpriced cable)
    PAY Services (Monthly fee, no per use fee)
    -Tivo
    -Hulu
    -Netflix
    -Amazon Prime
    Plus, these per use/per show services on ROKU (Yes, I currently have these, too)
    -Vudu
    -Fandango NOW
    We only use these for new release movie rentals, that we just gotta have :)

We are likely going to drop cable as soon as our commitment is up. All the cable channels like USA, FX, Discovery, etc require you to have a service through a cable provider in order to use thier OnDemand app through ROKU, etc. There are a few that allow you to use Amazon, which is cool. We can get a few of the Movie channels on demand through Amazon Prime

9. Nick The Great

Nick The Great The lead sled dog is the only one with a decent vi

THIS. TiVo doesn't "give" you anything other than what you get get over the air. Now, it can interface with Prime Video, Vudu, Hulu, HBO Go, etc.

The subscription is simply to give you access to their guide data. It works really well and is worth the cost. But doesn't give you any programming.

I bought my Roamio right before the bolt came out and they were having a sale and half price off the lifetime subscription. It might be worth checking their site periodically to see if they have any more sales out there.