1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viper 5901 Secrurity/Remote Start Issues

Discussion in 'Mobile Security' started by Shanks12, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Shanks12

Shanks12 Will You Join My WolfPack?

Hey guys, I'm having some issues with my remote. It seems like it only happens in winter.. when I want to use my remote start the most..

When I go to lock/unlock/start the truck with the remotes nothing happens. It shows the signal go out from the remote, then acts like it never goes to the truck then beeps in error. Just shows an X after it shows the little wifi/signal symbol.

But whenever it seems to get warm out, it will work again.

Anyone experience this issue with this alarm? :dunno:

It did this last winter, but I think I just ignored the issue, but its frustrating when its freaking freezing outside. :fume:

I've tried it with both alarm remotes that I have, but neither work. And sometimes I'll be driving the truck down the road, and the alarm will go off. Again, only when its cold out and the remote/alarm is acting up. It's like the truck thinks the alarm is set but the remote wont do anything, so I have to flip the switch on the valet to turn it off.

Any ideas would be helpful. Not sure if I need to try and take it into Best Buy where I got it installed (2+ years ago) or call Viper. :dunno:

2. daddy

daddy Administrator

Does it happen from all distances or just from afar?

Best Buy warranties their installs for life but I can't recall the warranty on the system. IF it's under warranty and happens from all distances, I'd say take it in.

3. Shanks12

Yeah, I can be right next to the truck or 100' away and it doesn't make a difference.

But then sometimes at random, it will start working again...

Like the other day I went to Menards and the truck fired up from the remote.. drove to the store. Went to press the lock button, and nothing happened. So I had to use keypad on door...

Then embarrassing enough, I had to use the key to get back in (I can't remember my door code :fume:)

4. daddy

daddy Administrator

You're going to have to take her in, unfortunately.

5. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

Vipers come with a LIFETIME warranty on both parts and the installation, but ONLY if you bought it installed
    from an authorized dealer such as Best Buy. I would bring it in and make them fix it.
    From what you describe, the alarm antenna might be going bad.

6. Shanks12

Yeah, I figured I would have to take it in somewhere.

hmm.. I bought mine on Amazon, but had it installed at Best Buy.. So I wonder if that still qualifies. It was an authorized Dealer for Viper on Amazon.

I need to find all my paper work for the order and install.

7. daddy

daddy Administrator

8. Shanks12

Good find.. Did some searches earlier and didn't find much.. but on the one mine is having a slightly different issues..

Mine is the same as this guy besides that last part. Even warming the truck up, it doesn't help it. And it doesn't have to be -10c.. whatever temp that is :lol:

But its been up to like 40-45* and still not work.

9. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

I assure you, if you bought a Viper online then it was NOT from an authorized dealer. Viper does not allow its dealers to sell online. If you are sure they said authorized dealer then perhaps they might actually be an authorized dealer, and they are breaking Viper's rule about selling online. Or else they flat out lied about being authorized. :dunno:
    Directed is mighty proud of its flagship brands (Viper and Clifford), and that's why they forbid dealers from selling them online or "over the counter". They are to be sold installed only. They do however allow online sales of Python alarms online, as well as alarm accessories.

10. Shanks12

Hmm... Now I'm going to have to find the info. I thought they were when I bought it, but now I'm starting to question my thinking...

It's not sounding good for me :uhoh: