Urea Injection Discussion thread (DIESEL)

Stumpuller6.5

Shits gonna get Abrasive...
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, this technology is moving forward and fast, most trucks by 2010 will be using this system, and in my mind what a pain it will be for use diesel owners. read the article below, urea freezes at 11F and turns to ammonia on its own at 120F, there is a tight range of temperatue control there. Its going to require coolant lines to be run to control the temp of the fluid to keep it optimal, other wise, your truck may not start. yeah i said that! I cannot imagine doing the work i do running this system on a diesel truck ever again! I live in a cold climate, sometimes i have to work in "the bush" for long periods of time, and in cold weather the trucks have to keep running. DPF (diesel particulate Filters) are bad enough as my company has two new dodge trucks with this sytem and they regulairily are having issues with exhaust restriction due to poor catalyst performance.(mostly due to long idling times and also high idle belt driven air compresors that we regulairly use.) I am also getting a new 09` ford in the new year and fear the troubles i may forsee. yet this may pale in comparison to these new systems. If i were a company running a fleet of deisel trucks that run in these conditions i may take a high consideration into getting a gasoline vehicle, and suffer the redued power and economy, just to have reliable trucks to serve my customers... I want to know what other diesel owners think of the issue at hand, will it make you seriously consider getting a new diesel if you are in the market?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...reviews-nox-reduction-solutions-for-2010.html

i`d also like to say i am very glad we are striving to save our planet with these technologies, but i fear we may be choking ourselves literaly in the end. :(

onac255

Bitch You Ain't No Nerd?!?!?!?!?...
Reaction score
Adapt and move on I guess...

It sucks but that is just the way it is gonna be from now on. I used to really want a diesel truck but all the new emissions crap made me think about whether or not I wanted to go through the hassle of getting rid of all of it. i.e. EGR blocker plate, DPF, and tuning it to run correctly without throwing codes.

Oh and the new 2010 dodge rams don't use UREA just so you know.

Nick The Great

The lead sled dog is the only one with a decent vi
Reaction score
I think it's a GREAT idea for those guys who lease or trade in every few years. Maybe this will allow engine designers to get more power and mileage without have to modify the engine to reduce emissions. :dunno:

But I have to say, I would hate to see one of those trucks in 25-30 years. Seems like a lot more things to do wrong. :(

Stumpuller6.5

Reaction score
Adapt and move on I guess...

It sucks but that is just the way it is gonna be from now on. I used to really want a diesel truck but all the new emissions crap made me think about whether or not I wanted to go through the hassle of getting rid of all of it. i.e. EGR blocker plate, DPF, and tuning it to run correctly without throwing codes.

Oh and the new 2010 dodge rams don't use UREA just so you know.

the cab and chassis trucks do apparently... :dunno:

Nick The Great

The lead sled dog is the only one with a decent vi
Reaction score
But I have to say, I would hate to see one of those trucks in 25-30 years. Seems like a lot more things to do wrong. :(

thats what i think, so many more things that could potentially leave the owner stranded. :dunno:

Well then they have that line of cock and bull about the 5mph "limp home mode." :rolleyes: How many service guys are gonna want to go 5mph for more than 1 mile???

My guess is it wouldn't have to be that hard to put in a resistor or pull a fuse to disable that. But I don't know, they'll likely try pretty hard to prevent that. :lol:

Stumpuller6.5

Reaction score
nothing is impossile to"trick" so as to make it diverted. its just gonna take some time,just like the dpf deletes, they were easy on the gm`s, then slowly the ford and dodges were figured out.

from the standpoint of fleet owners i don`t imagine they will go that route especially if it falsifies possible waranty in the process.

what we may not know as truck owners is, this is hitting every diesel powered vehicle, from cars to stationary engines. bmw`s, vw`s, caterpillar, cummins, volvo, everything.

i`m curious what the manufacturers will charge for the DEF.

Last edited:

Cowboy Cadillac

Ain't no trash in my trailer!
Reaction score
The stronger emissions are why Caterpillar got out of over the road engines. The DPF and junk are a pain . This looks like a good idea....in theory. Theres a big difference between some wingnuts bright idea at a work bench in a nice A/C'd office and the real world.
Guess all one can do is wait,see and hope. I don't think the diesel tuners will take too long to get rid of the extra hassle of urea.

PenguinLTZ

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Urea doesn't cost much, I will get you guys some pricing and average consumption.

Don't be afraid of this stuff, it has been in use for years in Europe.

Remember, they were able to reduce EGR flow into the cylinder with this, and that is a GREAT thing. '07 EPA engine EGR levels were rediculous, and the heavy duty engines were plagued with EGR valve and cooler issues.

We are excited in the heavy duty market :thumbs:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeaGeiger9
Back