1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission goes boom

Discussion in 'TMC TRUCK & SUV' started by kennythewelder, Feb 24, 2021.

1. kennythewelder

kennythewelder B31-3 (6 G ) certified

So I take off from a dead stop, kind of quick in heavy traffic, but not peddle to the metal, and it shifts from 2ed to 3ed and goes boom. I let off and it seams ok. Give it some gas, and pull into the store that I was going to. Less then 1 block, but across a 4 lane road. I pull into the parking lot, put it into P, kill the engine, get out and look under the truck, all seams good, I go get my stuff, come out of the store, I look again, and all looks good. I fire up the truck, put it in R and it shifts, but nothing is there. No R. I push it back words, far enough to turn around, and put it into OD. All seams good. I pull out it shifts out of 1st into 2ed, all good then it goes to 3ed, and there is nothing there. Just to make sure, when I get home, about 1/4 mile away. When I get home, I always back into the drive way, so I try, but no R again. I jack up the truck after pushing it back words into the driveway. In OD its all good with the tires off the ground. I hit the brakes, and put it in R. The wheels start turning, bit seem slow. I grab a tire, and it stops turning, so I get my wife to hold that tire with the palm of her hands, while I go grad the other tire. I can stop it from turning. So I say let the tire go, I let mine go and crawl under the truck after I have my wife hold the brakes in R. I tell Her let off of the brake, and I put my hands on the drive shaft with he brakes off. I can stop it from spinning. Well I guess Im going to the trans shop tomorrow. Time for a reman.

2. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 I've been knocked down drug out and left for dead

That sucks!
    I had a '99 do something similar. I took it to tranny shop and they scanned it. It turned out to be a throttle position sensor. :dunno:
    Mine had reverse, but I only had 1st and 2nd.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. kennythewelder

Realized this morning, I only have 1st and 3ed, nothing else. Going to the teans shop in a little while.

4. kennythewelder

Well I just got back from the trans shop. He said around $2500 plus tax. He will do some kind of supper clutchs and bands, with hardened sun shells, and corvette servos. I said also change that leaking rear main seal while your in there. He said the clutches and bands will hold up better than kevlor, much better. He said I should have it back before next weekend. As for telling the wife all the details, well She dont really need to know everything. The difference in a standard reman, and a performance reman is only a few hundred bucks. The trans shop owner said I will be happy once its done. My wife wouldnt understand the difference anyway.

5. OldCracker29

Sounds like it will be quite the beast. :thumbs:
    There are times in our lives when our wives don't need to know where every dollar spent goes. :uhoh: :crackup:

kennythewelder likes this.
  6. kennythewelder

Just picked up my truck. New everything all HD, plus thicker hardened sunshell, corvette survos, new rear main seal, and a new fly wheel. It had 3 broken teeth. Guess I need to replace the starter. They said for me to bring it back in 2 weeks for a check up.

308nato and OldCracker29 like this.
  7. OldCracker29

Glad you got it back. :thumbs:

8. kennythewelder

Thanks, Im very happy with the shop, and there results. 2 years or 24,000 mile warranty. They want me to come back in 2 weeks for a check up. As of yesterday, they had 4 more 4L60Es to do. They do these all of the time. Almost never have a come back.

308nato likes this.
  9. OldCracker29

That's good to hear. You really have to take it easy now breaking in a tranny rebuild and new gears in the diff all at once.

kennythewelder likes this.
  10. kennythewelder

Up date. Well after fighting a no shift from 3ed to 4th at WOT, the trans shop got it fixed. It was the speed sensor. All is good now. I have to go back in 2 weeks for a free check up.

308nato likes this.