1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner Cable modem

Discussion in 'Internet & Computers' started by Black02Silverado, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

Just got my internet bill and it went up $12. I'm renting my modem, $8 a month. Time to make a choice, do I keep renting or is it better to just purchase a modem? It is nice if the modem goes out I just go down to the TWC store and get a new one, which already has happened in the past year of having it. Thought?

2. The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra Don't worry, I only drink goat blood...

I have Cox internet and I bought my router because I think it is stupid that you can rent it for 15 months and pay off the router but it still isn't yours and you still have to pay rent on it, or you can pay for it up front and not pay rent forever. I haven't had a problem with my router but your mileage may very.

3. Nick The Great

Nick The Great The lead sled dog is the only one with a decent vi

4. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

Already have a router, just need the modem. Internet is such a rip off. They know they got you. I can't see how they can offer 3mps speed for $35 a month. No way would that slow of a speed work for us. :lol: I think we are just barley getting by with 15mps as it is.

5. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

Buy one. You just missed out on some pretty good deals last week on the two models mentioned. You'll be ahead owning and not renting

6. mr_bots

mr_bots People in glass houses sink ships

Haha, this thread got me thinking that they changed our bandwidth speeds here when they got bought out and you have to call to get your speed changed. Went from 15 to 60 for $5/mo more. Fuckers.

Still renting a modem as it's only $3/mo so the pay off is over two years but will still come out in the long run and can go from house to house. Probably not a bad idea to keep an eye out for deals on them. :thumbs:

7. Longshot270

Longshot270 I'm too COOL (lazy) to Choose a Custom Title!!!

I gave them a piece of my mind earlier today. Ever since college got back in, my internet speeds dropped.

The girl I was talking to offered to double my rate for an additional $17. My response was that they couldn't provide the internet capacity for the current rate, why would I give them more....so they cut my bill in half, back to the introductory rate. :D It is a scam and they all know it.

8. mr_bots

mr_bots People in glass houses sink ships

So...the college crowd popped back into town and that increased population started using the internet causing the speeds on the shared bandwidth broadband connection to drop? Blasphemy! :jester:

No, but seriously, cable companies are the worst.

9. Longshot270

Longshot270 I'm too COOL (lazy) to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Oh I understand the increased demand, I just won't pay $70/month when I can get the same exact speed at $45/month. :lol:

Tomorrow I'm going after Epson. It says a new ink cartridge is empty after it printed out three crisp, dark pages of text.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. Nick The Great

Nick The Great The lead sled dog is the only one with a decent vi

THIS :fume: And I get to go to mine over lunch today :rolleyes: