1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping for a new TV

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by Dartboy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

I have several TVs.

Your statement about the Panasonic Plasma is absolutely correct. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I have no motive to justify my purchase by lying about it here, I have spent a lot more on sets that I still have.

Now, on to the Plasma internet bullshit myths...

2. Texas Jim

Texas Jim Texas..It's a Whole 'nuther Country

3. 1BADSS396

1BADSS396 Chief Pot Stirrer

I have 4 TV's:

32" Toshiba I bought in 1995. Still works great. :D
    13" Toshiba TV/VCR combo (wifey's treadmill TV).
    57" Toshiba DLP Projection TV from about 2003-04 (bought used in 2006).
    17" Toshiba LCD TV on bedroom wall.

I am not a Toshiba fan, pure coincidence they are all Toshibas.

I have a sweet theater sound system int he basement though.

Yamaha 7.1 receiver
    Klipsch Reference series main/center speakers
    Klipsch powered sub
    (4) Bose 301's for both rear channels.

4. Z71 Kris

Z71 Kris Independence...

I have a vizio, an lg, and a sharpe. All 3 are great, look nice and no problems with any of them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

5. Boilerup15

Boilerup15 Hate Milk! Got Beer?

We have a 50" Samsung plasma that we have had for about 4 years with no issues. I love the picture on it. I would buy another in a heart beat. We also have a Vizio LED in our bedroom that is nice, but not near the picture of the plasma (I think).

6. Dartboy

Dartboy I actually AM too lazy to Choose a Custom Title

One of the articles I read described picking a TV as deciding between good, gooder and goodest. Basically pick a size and brand you like and buy it, nothing is too terrible.

I splurged and bit the 60" Samsung 5300 Series, no Smart TV, No 3D, neither of which I wanted anyway. Brought it home, hooked it up. Amazing picture right out of the box. and HUGE, it didn't look that way in the store, but at home, coming from a 50" and having watched a 32" for the last few days it looked enormous.

Unfortunately, the screen is so glossy, it was hard to see Bane beating the crap out of Batman through the reflection of the front window, table lamps, etc, etc. My wife was sitting on the side of the TV and said "I can see the reflection of the fireplace mantle". Between the reflection and the (never thought I'd say this) too big, I returned it. C-net gave good reviews to the Vizio, M series had a fairly glossy screen as well, so I dropped down to the E series. No 55" or 60" in stock, so I went back to the 50" screen. It looks so small compared to the 60" :) I think I could handle the 55", but I really didn't feel like waiting a few days, scheduling deliver and chancing wanting to return it as well.

Still feel the need to tweak the Vizio a bit, but it looks pretty good already, definitely brighter than the DLP was.

Two things to note about the Samsung Plasma-
    1. the stand was a flimsy POS, 4 skinny legs in an X, very flexible TV would wobble all over the place if you touched it. Vizio stand is much sturdier, even though the TV is far cheaper and lighter.
    2. the power cord is short! The cord was so short it wouldn't even let the surge protector sit flat on the floor.

Obviously, they expect you to wall mount it, and I think you should- and install an outlet nearby.