1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selecting an aftermarket electric fan for my Ranger

Discussion in 'High Performance Mods' started by Lonesome7.3, May 13, 2013.

1. Lonesome7.3

Lonesome7.3 By whatever means necessary …

This is a mod I have wanted to do since we got this truck. I have got the fan shroud issue worked out so now I need to select a fan. I was going to go with this one because the local parts store has it in stock. But damn it is expensive; especially after I buy the controller.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HDN0/3701/N0149.oap?ck=Search_electric+radiator+fan+-+universal_-1_2285&keyword=electric+radiator+fan+-+universal

I found out recently that Amazon sells auto parts so I checked them out and found this.

http://www.amazon.com/PROCOMP-ELECTRIC-COOLING-AUTOMOTIVE-RADIATOR/dp/B003U7REDG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1368446900&sr=1-1&keywords=electric+fan+automotive

Now that is only an example but the price difference is enough to get my attention. I also like the fact this it is lighter weight then the fan at the parts store. This Ranger has AC with a 3.0 and a five speed. I do go off road but it is a two wheel drive and I do not get into low gear high revving situations. Just dirt road in the woods. I will be tuning 31 inch tires soon but they are not real aggressive. I occasionally pull a trailer but I do regularly haul hay and feed in the bed. So I do not need a super high output best on the market fan. But I do need one that will work for more than just city driving. Any suggestions on which direction I should go?

2. azmidget91

azmidget91 Please select another custom user title.

I highly suggest the Lincoln mark viii or ford Taurus fan, but sounds like you are not open to those

3. Draenor

Draenor KILL ALL HUMANS!!!!

Should see if your alternator can handle the extra amps. Electric fans draw some 20-30 amps.

Sent from my overly sofisticated electronic device.

4. Lonesome7.3

I have a Mark VIII I plan to use in my wife's F250. And i would love to get a Taurus fan in this Ranger. But I am sick of digging through salvage yards trying to find a good one. Then when I do, the seller wants a stupid amount for it. hey are just not plentiful around here. If it get the Hayden fan from a parts store I know when ever I go out of town or need one tonight to get my truck running for work tomorrow the parts store usually has them in stock. The time I have spent digging through salvage yards I could have had an after market unit already installed.

I am making a few changes with my charging system so I am sure the new alternator will do the job.

5. azmidget91

azmidget91 Please select another custom user title.

I have gotten a few of the mark viii and Taurus fans on eBay with good luck

6. Lonesome7.3

Were they cheaper even after shipping? Also, what all did you need to make them work? I really want to keep an OE look on this truck. But I have about given up on a good Taurus fan.

7. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

How wide is the radiator? What about a dual fan setup from a Camaro/Firebird? Or one of the newer Cadets or Olsmobiles? I know a LOT of folks use the fans from the Camaros on Chevy trucks with great results.

8. Lonesome7.3

I have tried a few different dual fan set ups but none have worked. There is just not enough room.

9. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

How MUCH room do you have? Even the dual fan setup on my wife's Altima should be enough for a Ranger.

10. Lonesome7.3

I think it is 20 by 25. The dual fan set ups I have found have not worked. I ma sure there is one out there some where though. I ma just tired of pulling the damn things just to find out it does not work.