1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Trip Aug '18: Looking for storms

Discussion in 'Cameras & Photography' started by Darkanion, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Darkanion

Darkanion The space intentionally left blank.

I probably won't flesh this out until I get back home, but I figured I would at least start a thread and put a couple of pics of the truck in it. :)

This was out SW of Phoenix, along but a little north of I-8.

I knew blowing sand and probably some rain was coming, but I didn't quite realize (yet) that I was getting boxed in by storms to the east, north, and west. As the winds picked up, the sand started blowing (more), and it started to rain, I evacuated back to the south (I-8) and I found a better vantage point. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady Dominatrux

Lady Dominatrux Dominatrix of Baseball

Great shots!

3. Darkanion

Thank you! It was fun. I'm going to try again tonight, if any fire up. Then, I'll start heading back for home! :thumbs:

4. Lady Dominatrux

Lady Dominatrux Dominatrix of Baseball

How long was the drive from there to Texas?

5. Darkanion

Back home would probably be the better estimate, since I didn't intend on coming to Phoenix. :lol:

1000 miles.

6. Darkanion

Some pictures from the Mogollon Rim in Northern AZ. I had "heard" that this was a great place to "set up and watch the storms roll in." But, I found the road to be crap (or at least crappier than I had been led to believe) and there weren't as many unobstructed views as I had expected (at least not in the direction I was hoping for).

But, here are a few pictures, all the same! :)

I went. I saw. I know for next time ... to not go in the rainy season. I'm pretty sure the rains are what has the road more messed-up than I had expected.

I had been on a road to get TO the road that's supposed to run along the Mogollon Rim for probably 40 miles or more before I came to THIS sign... Not real comforting. :lol:
    [​IMG]

One of the better views I found. This was looking towards the east, I believe. I was wanting to be able to see storms move in from the west. Oh well! Live & learn! The view was nice! :thumbs:
    [​IMG]

I called this one "stay away from that rock" rock. :lol: :uhoh:
    [​IMG]

I did find some smoldering leftovers from wildfires.
    [​IMG]

A broken tree that was still finding a way to survive, up on the rim.
    [​IMG]

kennythewelder likes this.
  7. Darkanion

Two Guns, AZ

I probably would've explored this area more if it hadn't been over 100 degrees when I was there. As it was, everything looked too torn up to get out and spend much time LOOKING at things. So, I took a few pictures from the truck and moved on down the road...

One of the few buildings that wasn't so graffitied up (or torn up) that it was still somewhat photogenic.
    [​IMG]

This used to be a stop along old Route 66 before I-40 came along in the 1930's and bypassed Two Guns. After crossing the bridge (the next two pictures), I (later) found out that the bridge was built over 100 yrs ago and since Two Guns was by passed in the late 1930's, I surmised that it probably hasn't had much $$ spent on it for maintenance in 80 yrs...?

Yeah, this probably wasn't my smartest decision of the day. But, I was curious what was on the other side.
    [​IMG]

Another view of the old bridge.
    [​IMG]

kennythewelder likes this.
  8. Darkanion

After leaving Flagstaff, I went looking for some smoke I had seen the day before. I hadn't been able to find a good, unobstructed view, and I had hoped to be able to do so. I struck out on that. But, I found a couple of other things to take pictures of, while I gradually made my way south and decided to go to the Phoenix area, since it had been recently active with monsoon storms.

No real story to tell on this one. A storm was building in the clouds and I liked the way the two trees lined up with the towering clouds.
    [​IMG]

Somewhere along US 60 (I think), I drove passed what was once a big camp ground area. Fires had taken their toll on the place and vandals did another big number on it. But, this one building was still kind of surviving (or at least surviving a hell of a lot better than most of the others! :lol:).
    [​IMG]

9. Darkanion

A few storm chasing pictures. I really don't have much interest in being IN the storms or getting my vehicles beat up by hail, etc. But, I've seen enough storm (monsoon) pictures from AZ and NM that I've been wanting to come out to this area and give this a try for a few years now. Last year, I had to put the trip off. This year, "screw 'em; I've had this on the books for MONTHS, I'm goin'!" :lol:

The first night I got to Casa Grande, it was DEAD. All the rain was up around Flagstaff. Just my luck. Drive to Phoenix to see rain and it went to where I HAD BEEN. :lol:

The next night, I knew sunset was supposed to be at around 8:30. So, at 7-something, I went out to grab some food and I was going to "drive out somewhere, I wasn't sure where, to see if I could get some pictures." Well, I hadn't yet realized that AZ is on Standard Time, not Daylight Saving Time, so I had lost TWO hours coming here, not ONE.

So, local sunset time was 7:30, not 8:30. I did manage to get one picture that evening, though, as storms to the west choked the sunlight away.

[​IMG]

That left me with Thursday evening to try to get some decent pictures. By a little after lunchtime I was already paying attention to The Weather Channel (of very little use, I found), some National Weather Service websites and Twitter accounts (MUCH more useful), and a few different radar sites (VERY useful!). All of that led me to these next few pictures...

The first one... Not a storm. As I was driving west on I-8, I noticed that the sun was going to go behind this cloud that had a hole in it. So, I drove along until my perspective on the ground put the sun behind the cloud and I stopped to take some peekshurs. :lol:
    [​IMG]

The next several are downbursts, east of Gila Bend, AZ.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That "ball" of a cloud (below)? Rain, dumping out of the storm. That was kind of interesting to watch. Maybe next time, I'll be more prepared and I can have a video camera or a still camera on a tripod to take a time-lapse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was out there, in amongst the downbursts, blowing dust, etc., I had received a NWS Alert about a sand storm. "Pull aside. Stay alive." I believe it had advised. What I wasn't aware of (since I was 40-50 miles west of here at the time) was a BIG sandstorm came through this area while I was gone.

This next picture shows the sand still settling out of the atmosphere, as I got back close to town.
    [​IMG]

Here's a YouTube video (NOT MINE) of the sand storm moving into Casa Grande, AZ.
    [YT]F0ieabaK8YI[/YT]

I have to say. I'm glad I was out where the light wasn't choked out by all the sand in the air! :thumbs:

10. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

Very cool, those are great shots!