1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Dot

Discussion in 'TMC Gun Talk' started by Boilerup15, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Boilerup15

Boilerup15 Hate Milk! Got Beer?

I am wanting to put a red dot on my AR but I don't really wanna spend the money for an eotech or aim point. What are some decent brands/models that are cheaper? I'm thinking around the $100.00 range or so. I might later put a magnifier on it also, but that will be awhile. :dunno:

2. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Slowly going the way of the Buffalo

The best suggestion I could come up with is this Bushnell sight. I'm not 100% sure it will mount on a AR frame but I think it will.

Not much out there in that price range or less than that isn't any better than not having sights at all.

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight - Quickship.com

3. Boilerup15

I have only really found that one also. I don't know what to do as far as optics. I want to use this gun for coyote hunting, but also for home defense. Maybe I'll just put a nice scope on it and a laser underneath for home defense. :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Nick The Great

Nick The Great The lead sled dog is the only one with a decent vi

I like my AR, but it's at least the 3rd gun I'll grab for home defense. :lol:

5. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Slowly going the way of the Buffalo

Yeah, a scope would work for hunting. If I had one, I would try to become proficient using the factory sites as the military does in training. They even have civilian training exercises and they teach you how to be consistent with the iron sights.

Buddy of mine said that on range day, they had to pass a round through a quarter sized circle. It was a crazy distance like 50-100 yards. Everyone that was present on range day had to complete the task before everyone could leave. In the beginning of their training it would take all day. Towards the end they could get it done in 20-30 minutes.

Sent from my XT1254

6. Boilerup15

I have shot this through iron sights and am comfortable with them. I just want the magnification to see out past 100 yards, my eyes aren't the best. :lol:

7. Longshot270

Longshot270 I'm too COOL (lazy) to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Have you considered an illuminated low power scope?

I got hooked on a 4 power for my brush gun. Relatively low power means rapid target acquisition but still provides magnification. The cross hairs are dark in the light but reflect back a faint brown that can be seen over darkness if you have light near you. Works so well for me I've shot pigs by moonlight in an oat patch.

If you go this route, even a cheapo 4x Simmons will handle your AR no problem.

8. Boilerup15

That sounds like something I may be interested In. Do you have any links to any?

9. Longshot270

Longshot270 I'm too COOL (lazy) to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Academy - Simmons® 8-Point 4 x 32 Riflescope

This is the standard 4x32 I'm using. Non-illuminated, but it gathers LOTS of light considering it is such a small scope.

[​IMG]

I didn't have any luck on illuminated single power scopes. BSA makes some low end illuminated but don't expect them to hold up to much punishment.

10. Boilerup15

I've had 2 BSA scopes and I'll never buy another. Neither one would hold true after a few shots on my 20 gauge shotgun. Finally spent the money on a Nikon and have been very happy with it.