1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Differential Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by bubbatrucklover, Jun 21, 2019.

1. bubbatrucklover

bubbatrucklover Heavy Metal Red Neck

I'm one of those guys who has an overhead and center console and think it's :quote:cool:quote: to feel like your in a cockpit. I have the triple gauge set up on my A pillar and will be adding some gauges on top of the dash and/or possibly over head. Just kicking around different ideas I came across a Glowshift gauge (which all my future gauges will be to match existing) that measures the temp in your rear diff.

I found this to be interesting and wondered if it was a feature on newer trucks or a "just because" gauge. I would venture to say it's more practical for some one who does a lot of towing/hauling.

Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on this. :dunno:

Thanks as always. :cheers:

2. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 I've been knocked down drug out and left for dead

No clue. :dunno:

3. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

To me it is for those that tow for a living. Rear diff temps can get crazy if you haul/tow heavy loads, especially up steep grades. Not a bad thing to have and a cool gauge to add.

4. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

It is really not something you need to worry about in a half ton, or even towing with a HD.

They were VERY common in the 80s and 90s in class 8 on-highway trucks. I know this well, I spent 14 years at a Volvo heavy truck dealer as a tech repairing those damn diff temp senders, LOL.

I have personally had 6 2500/3500 HD trucks, all pulling heavy loads, and 50 or so HD 3500/2500/4500/5500 service trucks in my service departments that I have ran, and never had a diff temp gauge, nor a reason to EVER worry about it.

Run good synthetic, and forget about it.

As for your "cockpit" fetish, trans temp would be better. You can always have fuel pressure in one of the other pods, and then an ice-warn/outside temp in the last one

5. bubbatrucklover

Thanks Penguin. :cheers: I suspected it wasn't anything I really needed to concern myself with.Thanks for confirming that.

As for my triple gauges, my current set up is trans temp, fuel pressure (both you suggested) and air/fuel ratio. The last was a waste of $. It bounces ALL over. At the time I was drawing a blank as to how to round out the 3 so I opted for it. I have an outside temp on my rear view mirror AND I live in Florida so the "ice warning" gauge is a mute point. I mean the devil vacations here in the summer when hell is to cold.:lolup:

6. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

I always forget people live south of like...Oregon

:D2

Bigredmariner likes this.
  7. bubbatrucklover

:lol:

That's ok. Even though I grew up in Nebraska and am WELL aware of the "harsher elements" I STILL tend to forget just how nasty it can get. I mean we see 0 or negative occasionally in north east Florida just not with the sleet and snow added. :ohnoes:

8. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

A diff gauge might not really be needed but to me would be a cool thing to have and a conversation starter. :)

9. bubbatrucklover

I thought the same thing. :naughty:

"Oh you DON'T have a rear Diff temp? HMMM. I do" :pfingers: lol