1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Window and Mirror Conversion Done

Discussion in '12V Electronics' started by GatorFan, Oct 14, 2012.

1. GatorFan

GatorFan You think I Shiv a Get?!!!?

Well I finally finished the project. Thanks again to Scotty for answering ALL of my questions. This was a tedious project but well worth it.

Basically when I bought the truck new in 2000, I didn't get power windows because I figured I didn't need them...Fast forward 12+ years and I wished I had them so I decided to make this a project...BOY WAS IT!!!

Let the pics begin...

[​IMG]
    This was part of the wiring harness I picked up from a guy that was parting out his 2001 GMC Sierra Extended Cab SLE. I picked up both door panels, power mirrors (which I ended up not using because they were chrome :uhoh:), wiring harnesses from both doors, and the switches. He also threw in the passenger-side A-pillar because one of the clips was busted on mine. I grabbed all this stuff for $150. I wanted the truck to look factory and his stuff fit the bill. I also bought new power window regulators, new black power (non-heated) mirrors, and a new power mirror switch. AMAZON rocks!

Since my truck came with factory power locks. My only dilemma was cutting into my factory harness and replacing my power lock switch with the power window/lock switch from the donor truck. I literally spent hours (days was more like it) scouring the electrical schematics for my 2000 and his 2001 to trace every wire. Thank goodness AutoZone has all those diagrams available. Plus I asked Scotty several questions.

OK, back to the pics and more info. :thumbs:

Here is a pic of my factory door lock switch and one of the diagrams I printed from AutoZone.
    [​IMG]

The passenger side factory window/door lock switch.
    [​IMG]

Using the wiring schematics, I was able to identify the correct wiring to cut my door lock switch out of my harness and wire in the power window/door lock switch

Here is the factory connector to the passenger switch.
    [​IMG]

Below is the 30-Amp "auto-reset" circuit breaker (THANKS SCOTTY!!!) I installed. On the right of the picture is my Painless Cirkit Boss 7-Circuit Auxillary Fuse block I installed last year for another project. I am using one of the Constant Hot circuits as my power source for the power windows and mirrors.

[​IMG]

Below is the auto-reset breaker and the relay all wired up and attached to my firewall.

[​IMG]
    I just test-fit the BLUE wire. I disconnected it and ran the wiring loom then reconnected. :thumbs:

Driver's side power mirror installed.
    [​IMG]

On to part II...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. GatorFan

OK,

So now comes the harder parts of the project...WIRING for both doors. I had to basically take apart the entire dash to route the wiring from the passenger door over to the driver's switch. PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!

Here is the passenger door wiring. This was the easiest by far...

[​IMG]

I used a crap-load of heat shrink tubing and a butt-load of electrical wire and tape. My freaking fingers are still stiff!!!

Here is a pic of the power wire and the switch wiring (from the relay outside on the firewall).

[​IMG]
    The YELLOW wire is the power wire and the Lt. BLUE wire I will connect to a switch-source in the cab.

Below is a custom wiring diagram I created using Microsoft Visio.
    [​IMG]

Getting all the wiring together to route through the driver's door.
    [​IMG]

Wiring everything together on the driver's side
    [​IMG]

Still working on driver's door. Almost ready to pull everything through the driver's door. The RED wire is my "pull wire."
    [​IMG]

Got everything pulled through (PAIN IN THE ASS) and connected.
    [​IMG]

Now on to part III.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  3. GatorFan

Now I'm getting anxious because the moment of truth is nearing. :ohnoes:

New power window regulator installed on the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

New power window regulator installed on the driver's side. (Not a good pic, sorry :dunno:)
    [​IMG]

Driver's side wiring complete and Vapor Barrier reinstalled.
    [​IMG]

Driver's door panel test-fitted.
    [​IMG]

Driver's power mirror wiring routed, getting ready to reinstall interior trim. Sorry the pic is kind of dim.
    [​IMG]

Driver's door panel installed.
    [​IMG]

Everything works like a champ and it looks like is came from the factory!!!:thumbs:

This took me two whole weekends and a crap-load of wire, tape, heat-shrink, patience, and beer but it was well worth it. Man, I didn't realize how much I missed power windows and mirrors. Towing the bass boat will be a lot easier now!!!

I can post the custom diagrams or answer any questions if anyone has any.:cheers:

Now it's on to replacing the old headlights, parking lights, and tail lights. I replaced my factory fog lights a few months ago.

Oh yeah, I will also be repairing my console lid. It came in the mail yesterday!!!:tmc:

4. Kennyray

Kennyray No Whiners, Violaters will be bitched slapped.

Nice write up. :thumbs:

5. Zembonez

Zembonez I hate black wheels...

Great work! Glad it all worked out.

6. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

Good job!

My son just did the mirror upgrade to his '02. Luckily, he already had the windows.

Nice :thumbs:

7. 66nova

66nova Doctor Bob - Fastest Doctor Around

Damn nice work. That looks like a huge project.

8. buRRp

buRRp Moderator

Nice job. :thumbs:

9. Texas Jim

Texas Jim Texas..It's a Whole 'nuther Country

That looks like a big job... :ohnoes:
    You did good... :thumbs:

10. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

Great job. I should make a few of those harnesses and sell them on here to people like you. :D
    Glad it all worked out. :thumbs: