1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online FAX service, anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Internet & Computers' started by Black02Silverado, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

In spite of all of us thinking our smart phone is the whole world these days, a large number of businesses will only do orders and confirmations via FAX. It's especially true with wholesale suppliers. I also deal with several insurance companies who will only accept remote signatures by FAX. In some cases it's the only legally binding way to offer a signature without being there.

2. mr_bots

mr_bots People in glass houses sink ships

Phone lines aren't necessarily secure but their lack of use in the modern world probably makes them less of a target. My problem with faxing sensitive data (other than it typically being almost illegible) is there's a physical copy that has to move around.

For me personally to get a fax (long example): someone sends a fax to the company fax number. It prints out on the fax machine in the admin's office and sits there for who knows how long. After she notices it she puts it in the unsecure department mailbox at the front office and sits there for who knows how long. At some point someone picks up the department mailbox and takes it out into the plant to the maintenance offices then sorts it into another set of unsecure mailboxes based on supervisor and sits there for who knows how long. My supervisor picks it up from his mailbox and brings it to my office and if I'm not there sits it on my desk. IMO it seems more secure and convenient to just email me.

If you're worried about security you probably aren't online faxing anyways, it basically combines the insecurities of each platform.

3. Zembonez

Simply because one company mismanages their FAX handling does not suggest that all do. Many car dealerships still use the FAX to send signed buyer orders. No real alternative via email unless you scan it and then send it.

I suspect that the FAX will be around for a good while yet... even if it doesn't fit "modern" convenience standards.

4. mr_bots

mr_bots People in glass houses sink ships

For us it's pretty much the opposite. Most of our POs to larger vendors are all email while the smaller and local vendors seem to be about 50/50.

5. Zembonez

Well. I most certainly agree that a FAX is bound to be a thing of the past sometime in the near future. I am surprised how many businesses cling to it.

I can see why companies are lest than trusting of purely digital documents since they are so easily manipulated as well...

6. That Crazy Squirrel

That Crazy Squirrel I'm too LAZY to Choose a ... oh fuck it...

Three multifunction printer/scanner/fax machines here, all with phone connections, all with network connections, and two with full remote operation via app or email, and two different smartphone apps that will let me scan (photo) and fax, pretty much solves the whole issue for me.

7. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

I have a printer/scanner/fax machine because we fax fairly often also. My wife has doctors in New Orleans that we deal with. Sometimes we need documents or medical records, and they will ONLY fax personal medical records, they will not email medical records.
    In fact, the main reason we still have a home phone landline is for the fax machine and alarm system. :lol:

8. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

I'm still researching the various online services. It will be nice not being tied down to the office just for a fax.