1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil collection system

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Time Wasters!' started by Black02Silverado, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

I change a bunch of oil and over time by turning the empty qt bottle upside down for 24hrs I collect a quart of oil pretty quickly. I used to do it one at a time over another quart.

So I came of with this idea to where I can do 5qts at one time. I can add to it if I want, some of my oil changes are 8qts. I do use gallons and have not tried to put a gallon on here but think I can make it work.

It is still work in progress as to how I want to mount it. Didn't want to screw into the garage wall, thus the reason for the plywood and rubber tubes holding it up.

I also chamfered the inside of the pieces so the oil would run down and not collect on the inside of the connections.

I looked all over to find the best price on the fittings and it turned out our local Ace Hardware was the cheapest, even less than Lowe's.

I washed everything out really good to make sure there wasn't any plastic dust from all the grinding with my dremel. Now let the oil changes begin. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

Suggest covers when the port openings are not in use. Don't need garbage/bugs etc.....

3. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

I would have thought you would be a master of the Reznor waste oil heaters, by now. We have had at least one in every shop I have worked in for the last 30 years. We just built one out of four donors for our new shop. We drain and save every drop of oil.

4. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

I found that spray paint can lids cover the openings well. :)