Need Electrical Smart People

B

Bernie

okay this may sound stupid.. but Looking online how to solder.. Can I just use a lighter (the jet flame type, not just regular flame type if you know what I mean) :dunno: I don't have a solder gun or access to one. I seen a couple videos on YT with using a regular lighter, but I just wanted to ask the professionals instead of a YT video..

Also, instead of heat shrink, can I use liquid electrical tape? :dunno:

Not really looking for an easy way out, just trying to get the facts before I attempt this... Or with a heat shrink, can I use a lighter for the heat, since I do not have a heat gun.. :dunno:

Again, I've never attempted or been around solder or heat shrink

Yes, you can solder with a butane "jet" type lighter, but it takes a little practice to do it right. Just keep in mind you need to heat the work not the solder. What I mean by that is that you have to get the material you're trying to solder hot enough to melt the solder by itself, with the flame (or solder gun) removed. Since solder melts at around 700 degrees (give or take a hundred or two, depending on the type of solder) that means you have to be careful about damaging the insulation. Also, the piece being soldered should remain motionless until after the solder cools, or you'll end up with a bad joint. And, last but not least, solder makes for a good electrical connection, but should never be used for the mechanical connection. That means you want your wires tightly connected to each other, mechanically, before you solder them.

Heat shrink tubing can be shrunk using an open flame, but 9 times out of 10 the results won't be very good.

Shanks12

Will You Join My WolfPack?
Reaction score
okay this may sound stupid.. but Looking online how to solder.. Can I just use a lighter (the jet flame type, not just regular flame type if you know what I mean) :dunno: I don't have a solder gun or access to one. I seen a couple videos on YT with using a regular lighter, but I just wanted to ask the professionals instead of a YT video..

Also, instead of heat shrink, can I use liquid electrical tape? :dunno:

Not really looking for an easy way out, just trying to get the facts before I attempt this... Or with a heat shrink, can I use a lighter for the heat, since I do not have a heat gun.. :dunno:

Again, I've never attempted or been around solder or heat shrink

Yes, you can solder with a butane "jet" type lighter, but it takes a little practice to do it right. Just keep in mind you need to heat the work not the solder. What I mean by that is that you have to get the material you're trying to solder hot enough to melt the solder by itself, with the flame (or solder gun) removed. Since solder melts at around 700 degrees (give or take a hundred or two, depending on the type of solder) that means you have to be careful about damaging the insulation. Also, the piece being soldered should remain motionless until after the solder cools, or you'll end up with a bad joint. And, last but not least, solder makes for a good electrical connection, but should never be used for the mechanical connection. That means you want your wires tightly connected to each other, mechanically, before you solder them.

Heat shrink tubing can be shrunk using an open flame, but 9 times out of 10 the results won't be very good.

Basically like in this video... this is actually the video I first saw..

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMdoHdx9HJE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMdoHdx9HJE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

And about the 9 out of 10... I may have to try it and see how it comes out.. What about using that liquid electrical tape on the outside of the heat shrink just to make sure its a good shrink i guess..

B

Bernie

No, not like the video. In the video, although he does get the work hot enough to allow the solder to flow, he's still mostly using the direct heat of the flame to melt the solder. At no time should the flame actually come in contact with the solder.

As for that liquid tape stuff, I've never used it, so I can't give you an answer one way or another.

Shanks12

Reaction score
No, not like the video. In the video, although he does get the work hot enough to allow the solder to flow, he's still mostly using the direct heat of the flame to melt the solder. At no time should the flame actually come in contact with the solder.

As for that liquid tape stuff, I've never used it, so I can't give you an answer one way or another.

Okay.. so basically keep the flame on there till its hot enough that it will melt the solder by itself.. without the flame.. Gotcha... :thumbs:

And I may have to do some research on the liquid tape... :drinking:

Shanks12

Reaction score
Got all my materials today.... Should be fun to tackle tomorrow.... Well, Today..

Picked up..

- Solder
- Shrink Wrap
- Liquid Electrical Tape
- 30Amp Fuses
- Fuse Holder
- Rocker Switch (Green LED)
- 10' Wire Loom

... That may be it...

Gonna try and get my Recon bar done, fix my window switch, and install a switch for my front fog lights tomorrow... or maybe sunday... We'll see how things go..

B

Bernie

Got all my materials today.... Should be fun to tackle tomorrow.... Well, Today..

Picked up..

- Solder
- Shrink Wrap
- Liquid Electrical Tape
- 30Amp Fuses
- Fuse Holder
- Rocker Switch (Green LED)
- 10' Wire Loom

... That may be it...

Gonna try and get my Recon bar done, fix my window switch, and install a switch for my front fog lights tomorrow... or maybe sunday... We'll see how things go..

What's the 30 amp fuses for?

ScottyBoy

No, that's not a banana in my pants.
Reaction score
I've used the liquid tape before and for most jobs, its a pain in the ass. It takes FORVEVER to fully cure. Just to cure enough to be able to touch it takes like 12 hours. Takes a few days to be fully cured like a rubber coating. Now maybe I had a bad batch, or something, I dunno. Thats the only time I've ever used it. :dunno:

And as for soldering with a lighter, I've done it plenty of times. What you wanna do is get one of the long barbecue lighters that is "Windproof". Those put out a much hotter blue flame and get the wires way hotter much faster. Its basically a mini torch. This is the one I have, I got it from Lowes near the BBQ grills.
http://www.shopnutsandbolts.com/out-util-lighter-asstd.html?___store=default

330316_1.jpg

Kennyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Okay.. so basically keep the flame on there till its hot enough that it will melt the solder by itself.. without the flame.. Gotcha... :thumbs:

And I may have to do some research on the liquid tape... :drinking:
I used the liquid electical tape 5 years ago on my truck when i soldered in my trailer connection and I have not had any problems with it.:thumbs:

ScottyBoy

No, that's not a banana in my pants.
Reaction score
I used the liquid electical tape 5 years ago on my truck when i soldered in my trailer connection and I have not had any problems with it.:thumbs:

How long did it take to fully cure? I used it once but it took forever and a day to fully cure. However the can said it should cure withing 3-4 hours. Maybe I had a bad batch?:dunno:

Kennyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only took a couple of hours, but it was under the truck so it might have been longer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeaGeiger9
Back