1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop question

Discussion in 'Internet & Computers' started by dirtyoldman, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Texas Jim

Texas Jim Texas..It's a Whole 'nuther Country

The best way to buy a laptop...in my opinion...
    Figure out what all you will want to do with it.
    Do a little research to find one that has all the capabilities you need.

Don't forget built in MEMORY CARD READERS, so you can read your memory cards from your camera without having to always have the cable to plug your camera into the laptop.

Then go "UP" at least one processor speed, maybe two...double the memory that you think you need and double the hard drive space you think you need.

You will then have a laptop that will do the job for you for a good while.

In other words...buy the biggest, badest, fastest one, with the most memory and the biggest hard drive that your budget will allow. :D :D :D

Texas Jim

2. Z71 Kris

Z71 Kris Independence...

That is sound advice there Jim

3. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

That's a good point.This laptop has a SD card reader in it but when I put the SD card in it from my Kodak P&S it says the card hasn't been formatted.So before I did that I put it in my desktop,copied the pics then put it back into the laptop and formatted it for the laptop.I knew it would erase the pics so now no prob there.So I took a couple of pics and put the SD card into the PC,now IT says the card needs to be formatted,WTF? This card won't work in both at the same time.Any ideas why?

4. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

Memory card readers are no faster than USB2.0 cables in the real world... and a USB cable will last a LOT longer in heavy use. A real issue is the wear and tear of removing and reinstalling the card in the camera. Over time the sockets start losing connections and that can be a drag. (unfortunately you aren't aware of the problem until those valuable pics you took are missing!) Memory card slots in most cameras were designed to have a card installed and left in place. Our staff has been through a dozen or more Canons because of the dead memory card slot issue.

5. dirtyoldman

Ah Ha,OK.I'll try to find the USB cable,it's around here somewhere.Thanks :thumbs:

6. dirtyoldman

Found the cable,works good.I shoulda thought of that..Duh