1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO HELP OR INFORMATION!!!!

Discussion in 'Engine Swaps & Builds' started by hicks45jordan, Jul 11, 2018.

1. hicks45jordan

hicks45jordan I'm NEW... What now?

I have a ‘74 GMC SWB 350 (V8), found the oil real milky. Not real sure the reasoning behind how water got there. So, I’m looking for a motor I can drop in or any advice or insight one might have! TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

Welcome.
    Head gasket, intake manifold gasket, or cylinder head issue
    Rip it apart, and you can fix it. If all you found was contaminated oil, she is likely salvageable. If it is the original 1974 vintage engine, I would rip the heads off, without question.

Give us more info. I would disassemble the top end and check gaskets before I swung a complete engine in, unless you know there is lower end issues.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 There's a world going on outside the world that I'

:withstupid:

4. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

The Penguin is correct. Easy to find on the older engines. Most likely head gaskets.

5. hicks45jordan

[​IMG]

Yes we’ve torn the the engine down to the block. Is there a way to check if it’s good? I thought you had to take to a mechanist for block to flushed, pistons to get honed, mil the heads down, and run the valves. I honestly don’t know how all this works or even places to start lookin for either rebuild kits or motors when I find out what I need to do. And I’m looking to get out the cheapest way I can.

6. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 There's a world going on outside the world that I'

Not sure how many miles are on it, but I'd go ahead and pull the intake and replace the camshaft and timing gear and chain while you're in there. Those cams wear out at around170K.

7. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

OP, what is your mechanic skill level? They don't get much simpler than that 350, but if you are overwhelmed, then swing an engine.

To reply to your 2nd post; that is NOT torn down to the block, that is the intake removed, and that might have been all that was wrong. Did you find evidence of a blown gasket?

I would remove the heads, and take a look at the head gasket surfaces, and then you can see what shape your cylinders are in, and make a better call on replacing the engine.

8. hicks45jordan

UPDATE

Almost finished
    We’ve got motor put back together and dropped in everything hooked up except we are having problems...
    Can someone please tell me how to wire HEI distributor and high torque mini starter??? Maybe a cheat sheet or picture!! TIA