Is there a positive/negative on a 12 volt Horn?

bubbatrucklover

Heavy Metal Red Neck
Reaction score
I am replacing the PITA horns on my '02 Silverado. Well ok just the drivers side high tone is the PITA. :frustration:

The aftermarkets aren't OEM and they don't indicate on the horn or the install guide that one is (+) or (-) and both spades are the same size. On the factory it has a special plug which in no way can I re use on the new.

If there is a difference in the factory wiring which is which? It was late ,dark and I was tired. I'm pretty sure it wasn't read and black as I have YET to find any wires of that color unless I installed it. :lol:

If need be I'll start looking through the schematics but, I still have to finish re looming the driver's side and put the truck back together to go to work tomorrow night.

At least it'll be a sweltering 39 degrees when I wake up to finish my project tomorrow morn. Reminding me why I moved to :quote:sunny:quote: Florida.
:uhoh:
So thanks in advance. :cheers:

M.Cueva

jrrod2004
Reaction score
Yes, the OEM horn has positive and negative. Battery positive voltage is always applied to the horn relay coil and the horn relay switch. Hit the horn and the switch applies ground to the horn relay control circuit. The horns sound as long as ground is applied to the horn relay control circuit.

The positive wire is colored dark green
The ground is black

(If you are looking at the OEM connector with the release tab at 12 o'clock, the positive wire is the left pin and the ground is the right pin)

hope this helps a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dannytomany
Back