1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To: Remove and replace your GMT-800 Cluster

Discussion in 'Tech How To' started by Z71_Silvy, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Z71_Silvy

Z71_Silvy I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Despite holding the crown of best truck in the world, the GMT-800 basic cluster is not all that exciting. It is very functional, well designed, etc...but from a style stand point...it could be improved. So, I started to research the idea of swapping the cluster after reading about how easy it is. For me, it had to be a direct fit...from mounting points to the wiring. In the past, I had rewired my TWO wire looms in my Crown Vic to make a 2003+ Mercury Marauder cluster function properly in my 2001 CV. As challenging and fun as that was...I did not want to do that on my nice, low mileage truck. BUT, I was in luck as the GM cluster for the 800s are easily swappable. I also wanted the stock look of a trans temp gauge...which, lucky for me, came in my new cluster.

********PLUG WARNING********

I bought my cluster from Digital Dash Solutions. You can find them through Google AND on E-Bay. First and foremost, DDS is a great company to do business with. Very professional, knowledgeable, fast service, and their E-Bay rating is nothing short of phenomenal. If you need a cluster...there is no reason to look anywhere else.

Anyway, on to the install. Here is what we will be replacing:
    [​IMG]

First, wash and dry your truck. I realize that this has no bearing at all on installing the cluster, but your truck should NOT be dirty.
    [​IMG]

Next, set your parking brake:
    [​IMG]

Then, turn your key to 'run', and put the truck in 1...or as low as the shift lever will go:
    [​IMG]

Move your steering wheel to it's lowest position:

[​IMG]

Next, you will need to gently pull the dash bezel away from the dash. I suggest starting at one corner and working your way around. It is just held in with clips...there are NO SCREWS (thank you GM!):
    [​IMG]

Soon, it will look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at the cluster, you will see FOUR (4) 7mm, hex screws holding in the cluster. These are the screws and tools I used to remove them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once you have the screws removed, grasp the BOTTOM of the cluster and tilt it towards you:
    [​IMG]

The cluster will make it's was out, but be careful as the wiring harness is not all that long. Speaking of the wiring harness, here it is as it sits in the cluster:
    [​IMG]
    Note- the wiring harness plugs into the top of the cluster...dead center. The grey clip faces up, blue part down.

And here is that harness once removed:

[​IMG]

Installation is exactly the reverse of the steps above. Once done, check to make sure that everything works:
    [​IMG]

Oh...and one little tip...be sure to remove the protective lens film before installing everything back together...:
    [​IMG]

Durrr......................:frustration: :fail:
    The funny part is that they only reason I even noticed the blue film was still on there was because of the shot above...
    I will have to get daytime shots tomorrow as I ran out of light. All in all, it looks fantastic...better than I thought it would. Very happy!

2. RebelThunder

RebelThunder Speak English or GTFO

Looks good, Matt :thumbs:

When I did this on my '99, I had a bitch of a time trying to unplug the harness.

3. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

So was there any programming involved with the change? Are the odometer reading stored in the cluster or the PCM?:dunno:

Nice write up by the way.:thumbs:

4. CT99XJ

CT99XJ The Jeep guy.

i doubt its anything like Chrysler, but my Cherokee's mileage is stored in the actual cluster itself. dealerships should be able to reset the new module with your correct mileage and give you a correction paper that makes it legal.

what kind of cluster is that? looks like Caddy

5. Z71_Silvy

Good question.

The mileage is stored in the cluster...and ONLY in the cluster.

Carl at Digital Dash Solutions programs the cluster for you...with your hours and miles. So it really is plug and play!

6. Z71_Silvy

Yep...Caddy Escalade premium...:cool:

7. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Good deal, I thought I remembered that being the case but wanted it out there for anyone else considering doing the swap. I just did an overlay so no programming was involved.:thumbs:

8. daddy

daddy I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Great write-up! :thumbs:
    I think I see the Denali cluster in my future! :D

9. Moeman

Moeman Take Off Eh!!!

Looks different.....Different is good.

:thumbs:

10. Z71_Silvy

Before and after:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know...I never noticed that our clusters have a button in the cluster to change the DIC...right between the oil pressure and Volts gauge. I thought the Escalade cluster was special when I noticed it, then I looked at mine and it was there too...