1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Header and Supercharger Dyno Testing

Discussion in 'High Performance Mods' started by JennaBear, Nov 26, 2014.

1. JennaBear

JennaBear Sponsor

We are getting ready for some more dyno test comparisons: Headers and supercharger

Test vehicle: 2013 6.2L.
    Dyno: Mainline

Plans were to compare Doug Thorley 1-5/8" to 1-7/8" with their 3" y pipe on both and then repeat the testing with a Magnacharger TVS1900 with 3.3" 3.0" pulleys.

Naturally aspirated testing was to be performed on a detuned calibration to ensure that no fuel quality issues can interfere with results.

We were to be able to directly compare the airflow changes between the two sets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JennaBear

JennaBear Sponsor

Here is the resulting dyno graph comparing the two headers on an otherwise stock 6.2L. Pay attention to the percentage differential between the two, rather than the absolute power numbers. The same truck strapped down to the dyno differently with a slightly more aggressive tune puts out 50hp more. Blue run is the 1-5/8" and red is 1-7/8". Both are utilizing DT's 3" stainless steel y-pipe. Both runs had coolant temp of 192*F at the start and intake temps of 102*F for an even comparison.

[​IMG]

3. OldCracker29

OldCracker29 I've been knocked down drug out and left for dead

:thumbs:

4. Draenor

Draenor KILL ALL HUMANS!!!!

Was there a run on the stock exhaust, to see a baseline?

5. JennaBear

JennaBear Sponsor

No, just a comparison between the two sizes. Stock headers have been off for a while.

6. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

Nice. What is the estimate for stock? Just curious about what the headers gave. I really want to do this, still.

7. 07blackz71

07blackz71 Change is always Good!!!

From looking at the chart is looks like the 1 5/8 has more power at lower rpm's for normal driving?

8. 66nova

66nova Doctor Bob - Fastest Doctor Around

Yeah. I was chatting with Justin the last couple days. I was considering getting rid of my 1 5/8 Tri Ys and getting the 1 7/8 headers. The peak difference is pretty impressive if your going to race, but below 4500 rpm the 5/8 win.

He also told me his mileage is lower with 1 7/8. He gets better mileage with E85 and the 1 5/8 than he's getting with 91 octane and the 1 7/8.

Low and short. I'm sticking with my current setup. I am going their new 3inch Y pipe though.

9. Draenor

Draenor KILL ALL HUMANS!!!!

That is the reason I got rid of my Thorleys.
    The smaller primaries 1-5/8 ,would have a good scavenging effect at lower RPMs resulting in good torque but being restrictive up top.
    The 1-7/8 breath easier up top, but lose the good torque curve down low.

The Whipple gets me enough grunt, but once I get over 4K the truck scoots.

If these were available earlier, I would snatch a pair of 1-7/8 up. They are exceptional quality.

10. 07blackz71

07blackz71 Change is always Good!!!

I have been thinking of getting headers for my truck instead of getting a cat back exhaust. I wonder which will give me more gains? Headers or catback exhaust