1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GMT400 Chevy / GMC Trucks

Discussion in 'GM Pics' started by Zembonez, Jun 2, 2009.

1. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

Pretty green stuff :jester:

Nice scratches on the cylinder walls.

Did the engine get rebuilt? :dunno:

2. ksblacksilvy

ksblacksilvy Business up front

No rebuild. The scoring was bad enough I decided it wasn't worth it. Would have just needed gaskets to go back together but I don't know how bad it really was. I was told the gauge was pinned (and it's a 280 degree gauge). Got hot enough to melt the line to the gauge. And after that it was started and run until (I'm assuming) it overheated again. I didn't think it'd be worth putting it back together, even though it still ran. Burned a ton of coolant when I started it to pull it in the shop.

Right now, I'm waiting on a friend to swap a new motor into his pickup so I can have his 5.3 and hopefully put it in. It has a knock at 1800 rpm and will need work, but it's $150. I can scrap it for more than that. There are other things the 1990 will need, harness, computer of some kind, radiator, assorted wiring. Really kind of a can of worms, not sure it will be worth it on a body/frame with some rust and 193,000 miles.