GMC / Chevrolet 4.8/5.3/6.0

sierra

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ
Reaction score
I have AMSOIL in my 2008 Sierra and that last time I changed oil was in last year (11/08 if I recall). I started to use it at about 1,000 miles as usual. Since then I have driven nearly 10,000 miles on that oil (TSO 0W-30) and the OLM still has not signaled an oil change. I can pull the dipstick and the oil looks like it was put in there 500 miles ago. If I was of the belief that I must change oil every 3,000 miles I would be on my 4th oil change by now and that would have cost me significantly more $$.

I have over 30 yrs experience using AMSOIL. You can choose to believe me or not but although it costs more up front, it pays for itself over the long run. I have driven GM vehicles to 100,000 and never added 1 qt of oil in that amount of miles. I always pushed the drain interval to the limits but I would always change once a year because with most things, time is its enemy. Most modern mineral oils car capable of going 5,000 miles or more in most vehicles so the 3,000 miles oil change is just a way for the oil companies and its retailers to make money of the vehicle owners. I know several local shops that if it was not for those who believe strongly in changing their oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months they would be out of business. Even the GM dealers still push it because it drives business to them. For people to not see what going on is beyond me. They distrust the dealer for just about everything else but 3,000 mile OCI.

I have a 1993 Chevy Lumina sitting in my yard that my Mother bought new back in Fall of 1992. She drove car till the first OCI and they I put in AMSOIL. I also took it to a friend who is a trans pro and had him flush the trans and install AMSOIL ATF. In all the year since then we only changed oil once a year no matter what the miles. She did not drive all that much and the mileage rarely reached 10,000 miles in a year, although there may have been a time or two it did. Today that engine is like new, the trans is like new although rust is taking over the car. She has not driven for the last 7 yrs (89 yo) and I use the car for a winter car to save on my car and truck. About 3-4 yrs back I thought I would have the trans shop drop the pan and change the ATF. When the had the pan off the guy came over ans showed it to me. There was not a spec of anything but ATF in the bottom of the pan. Even he was surprised. Roughly 10 yrs and 100,000 miles and no wear in the trans.

I know most people only think about the initial cost of things and tend to make all decisions on that. But I always looked at the long term advantage and that's what attracted me to synthetic lubricants back in 1975ish. I wish I would have keep records because I am confident the use of AMSOIL has saved me thousands of $$ in maintenance costs since then.

Zembonez

живи свободно или умри
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Synthetics are rarely a "cheaper" way to go. The best is rarely cheap. If cheap is what somebody is after, maybe they should keep a sharp eye out for local oil specials run at auto parts stores. There are some real deals to be had. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not personally concerned about the price.

Black02Silverado

Sponsor
Reaction score
Thats cause every article out there is written by amsoil... id like to see a unbiased test from any company other than amsoil.

Im not against it... Just cant justify the cost.

You have to remember that all the articles that AMSOIL has ever written and all the studies that they have accomplished against the other oil companies are fact-based. If it wasn't then AMSOIL would be sued into next year. The other companies can't do a thing because their products performed as tested.

Also you have to look at it at AMSOIL's level. It is a small company that does not mass market their products but relies on their Independent Dealer network and word of mouth. The Multi Level Marketing used by AMSOIL is legal. It is no way a scheme. So accomplishing comparison testing is their way of showing the quality of their product.

Also thanks to sierra for posting the warranty. If you have an issue with any of your oil wetted parts and the issue was due to the oil then AMSOIL will cover all repairs.

Yes running the oil for 20k miles is hard to accept. I have my oil analyzed regularly, basically once a year at each oil change. That is the best way to keep track on how your engine is doing. A customer of mine had 20k on his oil in his 2005 Suburban with the 5.3 and his oil sample came back stating that the oil was good for continued use.

Now, I check this site every day. How in the world did I get so far behind on this post? This is the main area I check. You guys are fast to the reply.:rollin:

Stumpuller6.5

Shits gonna get Abrasive...
Reaction score
I`m going to change my oil once a year now i think, once a summer. see how that goes.

Black02Silverado

Sponsor
Reaction score
I can say this much. Ever since I retired from the Air Force, which was back at the beginning of August, I can't understand where I had the time to do the things I did. I'm swamped with so much it is amazing. I was hoping to be able to get on here and build up my postings big time. Just hasn't happened. Maybe this winter I can contribute more.:)

Bigredmariner

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Reaction score
I can say this much. Ever since I retired from the Air Force, which was back at the beginning of August, I can't understand where I had the time to do the things I did. I'm swamped with so much it is amazing. I was hoping to be able to get on here and build up my postings big time. Just hasn't happened. Maybe this winter I can contribute more.:)

Just enjoy the retirement for a while, you've earned it.:flag:

Black02Silverado

Sponsor
Reaction score
AMSOIL White paper on Gear Oils

Interesting study of gear oils. The lower the number the better the score of the product. Like a golf score.

Attachments

• AmsoilData.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 11

sierra

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ
Reaction score
Now, I check this site every day. How in the world did I get so far behind on this post? This is the main area I check. You guys are fast to the reply

You want to subscribe to the posts so you will get email notices when a post is made.

Check the Thread Subscription options

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonaldWaifs
Back