1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM 10 Bolt Rear Gear Install & Setup

Discussion in 'Gear Central' started by Bigredmariner, Oct 24, 2010.

1. WILLBURN

WILLBURN I'm NEW... What now?

8.5 inch stock rear diff...

Hello all, I could use a hand on this please.

im working on a 96 suburban k1500 4x4....im troubleshooting some noise and have rear diff drained/open. My main concern is when I have rear wheels off ground and push and pull axles in and out there is a good amount of play that is accompanied by a clunk as I mate surfaces on in and out push/pull. This is the first obvious area I have found sound or looseness to produce sound in my troubleshooting to find the clunks I have.

the clunks I have are on beginning of accel and end of decal....and it sounds more to drivers side axle.

now the end of my axles on the inside of the diff are c clip style inside 4 spider gears. the pinion shaft/pin blocks the axles from moving inward enough to get clips off....now I know I pull this pin to push in axles to pull c clips....but my problem is prior to removing the pinion shaft to get clips off....I had someone push and pull on axles on each side . The axles bang in and out. From the inside end of the axle to the pinion shaft/pin in middle has a lot of space that is allowing the in and out movement. So....what is the normal play here? Maybe it wasn't shimmed properly behind spiders or carrier sides?

I think my forward backward backlash for ring gear/pinion is ok, but could appreciate a quick tip on checking it. I have tools, and I am a mechanic, I just have never had to rebuild a rear end in my life. I have a dial indicator as well.

***im fixing a friends truck who just took it to a mechanic and supposedly had this issue repaired. he picked it up and it was doing same thing. mechanic said he did center bearings....????? no center bearings in unit/?? pionion, side bearings and axle bearings are all I know of here. So he might be lying...until and if I pull this apart...ill inspect for new parts then.

2. Coyotegray

Coyotegray I'm NEW... What now?

Great write up! I joined after reading it.
    I'm doing the same to my 2006 Tahoe. I started to tear it down but an ice storm came through so I'm left inside, prepping the new differential.
    Since I haven't removed the old differential yet, a question I have is the races for the carrier bearings go on the outside, correct…?
    The shims are on the outside also, correct...?

Thanks,
    Andy..

3. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner Administrator

Welcome aboard, yes shim go on the outside of the carrier races. If you can see the area where the brass punch is, the shim has a little yellow paint smear on it.

Posted from my iPad via Tapatalk HD.

Attached Files:

4. C.parry95

C.parry95 I'm NEW... What now?

Awesome write up!!

First off, thank you so much for all the pics and detailed instructions!! My g80 finally let go at 234,000 miles. Just one question..

Do I set the backlash with the carrier bearing preload set? I read another forum saying to set the carrier preload after setting backlash... I set my backlash with preload and it's perfect right now.

I am still working on getting the pinion shim right. I have done a few gear pattern passes and I haven't got it quite right yet. I need to stop by the GM dealership later and grab some more marking compound. I already ran out of the tiny amount that came in the installation pack.

Attached Files:

5. kennythewelder

kennythewelder B31-3 (6 G ) certified

As mentioned on this forum, I need to rebuild my diff. I found this thread doing my research on Yahoo. Already being a member here, I was glad to see a very good write up on this subject. I have never done a pinion setup but have been inside of my diff before. This thread is perfect for me, as I have a GM 8.5, 10 bolt 30 spline, and I am going from 342 gears to 373 gears, also I am going from an open carrier to an Eaton truetrac. I wanted to post something here to revive this old thread. Here is a link to my thread on rear end hum.
    https://www.truckmodcentral.com/threads/rear-end-hum.31374/#post-1239256

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  6. kennythewelder

kennythewelder B31-3 (6 G ) certified

The more I read through this thread, the more awesome it becomes. Fantastic write up.