1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Differential

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by 1990 K1500, Feb 10, 2017.

1. 1990 K1500

1990 K1500 I'm NEW... What now?

Hey guys,

I'm new here so this might have already been discussed. I'm working on a 1990 K1500 front diff. It's out of the truck and the case is apart. The the passenger side long shaft is out. I can't for the life of me get the drivers side short shaft out. I've tried a slide hammer, prying on the case (I'm afraid of breaking the case), soaking the shaft with WD40 and other sprays to free it. I know there's a circlip near the end of the shaft, but it sets inside of one of the spider gears inside the carrier. I've tried sliding out the carrier pin in order to drive it out from the other side, but the pin is hitting the ring gear.....ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. .....

2. Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado Sponsor

Unless you can open it up and remove the clip you are out of luck. That has been a known issue on these front drive lines. My 1993 GMC Sonoma had a leak on the front axle seal. I tried to get the axle out but never could. I opted for a good used one from the local salvage yard.

3. 1990 K1500

Well CRAP.....Not what I wanted to hear. ....apparently the guy who bought this truck new NEVER turned a bolt under the front end. I was hoping there would be a way around it. ...Thanks for the reply.

4. 1990 K1500

Driver's side output shaft stuck

Finally got it out. Had to cut the spider gear shaft out with a torch...Then still hammer out the axle output shaft.