1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFI Live Question!

Discussion in 'Black Bear Performance' started by Bigredmariner, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Just wondering if anyone had the answer to my question. With EFI Live and an '06 Silverado Z71 4x4, is it possible to turn off all the 4x4 stuff if I switch to a 2wd 4L60E trans?:dunno:

2. CJ Hungus

CJ Hungus Moderator

Not sure, I would think you could but lets get to the real question..... why are you going 2wd?!??!

3. Bigredmariner

It's a bigger PITA to bag a 4x4. Yes I know it can be done, but I never use the 4wd. The truck is paid for and has been for a long time. I love it besides the fact that it's 4x4...

The smart thing would be to sell it and get a 2wd to bag, but nobody ever said I was "smart"!

If I sold it and got a 2wd to bag, I would have no idea of the history of the truck. At least here I know the history of everything on it. I bought the truck when it had single digits on the odometer and have put every single mile on it since the fall of '05.

4. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Slowly going the way of the Buffalo

You can't turn off the 4 wheel drive like de-selecting option in programming in the ECM and TTCM. But what can be done is re-flashing the truck with the programming of a 2wd formatted ECM/TCM. EfiLive programmers can take a donor vin and make it work but most likely would have to do this in their own shop.

Don't know why would would want to do this. With the money spent to making this work, you would think it would be easier just to buy another truck and start from scratch.

:dunno:

The hardest part will be making it a true 2wd truck, that programming is not all that difficult.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

What about the front suspension?

6. Draenor

Draenor KILL ALL HUMANS!!!!

I think that is all in the BCM. You would probably need to get a Tech2 and disable what is not needed. The only thing you may be able to do is set any MILs to non reported and disable the SES, if any. The MILs will be all DTCs from B codes.

I have HTP, so Im not sure what is available in EFILive or the COS.

If it is switches and what not you want to disable, IMO pull the fuses to the switch, actuator,etc. See what conditions are set, then disable them if possible(with or without a Tech2). If nothing pops up, then leave the fuses out and you should be good.

7. Bigredmariner

That makes sense, I looked around the tune file and never could find a place to "turn" off the 4wd stuff so I figured it was something more complicated.

Front suspension doesn't really concern me. Differential and axles would be unbolted and tossed, new upper and lower control arms fabricated. Remove the torsion bars and install bags and mounts. That's the easy stuff, where I was running into trouble is dealing with the transfer case.

I would have to get a 2wd trans and driveline to substitute for the 4wd trans with T-case. From the research I have done, I know that to make a 4wd into a 2wd I would have to completely tear down the trans and changeout some internal shafts and tailshaft housing. So it would be easier to just get a 2wd 4L60E and refresh it and install with new driveline.

8. Draenor

easier and better piece of mind knowing it was built with all the goodness. Plus, I'm sure you can easily offset the cost selling the 4WD.

9. Draenor

Plus this will be funner. Yes, funner. :D2

10. 66nova

66nova Doctor Bob - Fastest Doctor Around

I think this is a great idea. I like "because I can" projects!

Have you considered sticking a 4L80 or even a 6 speed in it since your swapping everything any way?