DDM Tuning HID Install Thread

700 sportsman

"That motor runs gooder than hell !"
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I bought the 35w 5000k HID's from DDM Tuning. I also bought their relay wiring harness, I know some say they need larger wire, and I would agree, but the stock wiring is that size, or perhaps a size smaller, so I see no need for all the work involved in making a harness up. Upon opening the box, everything looked good, except the don't send any directions, so I had to go and download the install instructions from their site and print them, which wasn't a big deal, just a little inconvience.

I began the install today on my 1996 GMC 2500, I first was scouting out a place to mount the ballasts, and the relay. I mounted the relay right infront of the storage box. Next I decided to mount the ballast beside the storage box on the side of the fender well, it fits nicely behind the box, and you don't even see it. Then I decided to run the wires across by running them with the tranny cooler lines, then down below there is a plastic cover that I took off and found a loom of wires headed over that way, so I plan to follow that loom across, and then up to the light. The ddm harness was too short and I have it tied up about in the middle of the truck, so I'll have to extend the wires up to the light, and loom them all up. For the passenger side ballast I plan on doing something similar except beside the battery, so they are fairly hidden and out of the way.
So tomorrow night after work I'm going to solder in the extensions and hopefully get them finished up, or atleast get the wires all extended an ran up to where they need to be.

I'll report back when I get it done, and I'll take some pictures of where I ran the wiring and how I mounted the relay and ballasts.

700 sportsman

Reaction score
Ok guys I got them all finished up today.

Here's some pics. of how I ran the wires and mount the ballasts and whatnot.

Tapped the accessory post for the power for the relay harness.

DSCN0725.jpg

Wiring along drivers side fender and ballast mounted.

DSCN0726.jpg

Mounting for the relay.

DSCN0729.jpg

Wire run along the tranny cooler lines down to the bottom

DSCN0730.jpg

And up the other side

DSCN0731.jpg

Ballast mounted on passenger side

DSCN0733.jpg

Backed out of the drive and saw the lights were way too high, so I pulled back in and got the right side adjusted down low enough, but when I went to the other side, the adjuster is broke, my grandpa used to always adjust the headlights, and I presume he broke it at some point, so I have no up and down adjustment.

I went for a quick drive down the road, and the light output was great, but the aim was way off.

Here's a video of them firing and getting whiter

[YT]njxRJeLma_Q[/YT]

Last edited:

nubuilder

Why buy new when you can restore?
Reaction score
Looks good! :thumbs:

You can tell that the pass. is higher than the driver's. I really need to get these, but I want to get a set of the TYC Elegante lenses. The one's I have now are really cheaply made and a pain to aim.

Unrelated question: was that storage box an option? Mine's got the tray, but nothing in it.

Bigredmariner

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice install, I like that you tucked all the wires up nice and tight. Great job Tyler.:thumbs:

mblouir

I need a hobby.
Reaction score
Very nice job. I'm jealous of your stock housing. It doesn't put out near as much glare as our big round Ford housings.

700 sportsman

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Matt I'm not sure about the box, I've heard many different stories

Any body know where I could get the adjustment "gearbox" to replace the old one?

ScottyBoy

No, that's not a banana in my pants.
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Matt I'm not sure about the box, I've heard many different stories

Any body know where I could get the adjustment "gearbox" to replace the old one?

I beleive that adjuster is made onto the headlight. You might end up having to replace the whole headlight. :dunno:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeaGeiger9
Back