1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer problems

Discussion in 'Internet & Computers' started by Vmax2007, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Vmax2007

Vmax2007 Guest

OK, so many of you know, my daughter decided to download a song she Googled and it gave my PC a nasty virus. After many futile attempts to get rid of this virus, I finally gave up and brought it to work and had my IT guy reformat and reload XP. I had backed up my computer to an ext hard drive luckily. So today, I bring the computer home and fire it up to set it up the way I want it. I got the internet working and my AVG restored. Now for the issues I am having....

1. Internet Explorer would lock up on me every few minutes. Task Manager said it was "not responding" and I would have to "end task". I tried downloading IE8...didn't help. I then downloaded Firefox and that seems to be working fine.

2. I plugged in my ext hard drive to copy the files in "My Documents" back onto the hard drive and after plugging in the USB cable, the computer crashed/shutdown and attempted to but would not reboot. I hard-killed it and tried rebooting with the ext hard drive plugged in and it would not boot up. It boots up fine otherwise. I plugged it into my laptop and the ext hard drive appears just fine. All the files are there and everything is good on the laptop.

Any ideas?

2. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

Whan XP was installed, did he install all of the updates?

3. Vmax2007

Vmax2007 Guest

no idea? And now he is on vacation for a week.

4. Zembonez

A fresh install of XP is only as up to date as the disc used to install it. I'm sure it was at least pre-service pack 3.

Go to start> all programs> windows update and run the updates it suggests. May just solve your issues.

5. Vmax2007

Vmax2007 Guest

I'll give it a try, thanks!

Looks like I already have SP3, I may have been on SP2 before. Could that be a problem?

6. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Orange is the happiest color.

:thumbs: Worth a try....

7. Zembonez

Problems with IE and USB issues could be attributed to lack of updates. USB 2.0 is a win update download if you are on an old XP SP1 or SP2 disc. It is possible that is why the external won't work. Of course we are guessing at this point but it is the most logical place to start.

I'd go to the Device Manager under System in the Control Panel and make sure all of the Gateway drivers are installed too. An XP install isn't always going to have drivers for all of the hardware.

8. Vmax2007

Vmax2007 Guest

What driver do I need for the ext hard drive? I didn't need to download any drivers when I got it?

9. Zembonez

You probably had it from a Windows update. USB 2.0 comes packaged in one of the updates and wasn't originally on the early XP discs. I've had to do the updates to get my external drives to work with friend's computers when working on them.

Did you do the updates?

10. Vmax2007

Vmax2007 Guest

Yes, I did. Should I try to plug in the ext hard drive again?