1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change The Color Of Your 95+ GMT400 Dash Lights

Discussion in 'Tech How To' started by thunderstruck, Jul 13, 2009.

1. thunderstruck

thunderstruck This message exists only to take up space.

Want to make the gauges, HVAC controls, and headlight switch in your 95+ GMT400 light up a different color? This guide will show you how to do it using SuperBrightLEDs.com's car bulbs to make your gauges light up either red, amber, green, blue, ultraviolet, or just a different temperate of white.

WARNING: This guide applies only to 1995 and newer GMT400 trucks, it no longer applies to the GMT800 trucks. For the GMT800 trucks, use ScottyBoy's write-ups instead:
    How-to: Change the color of your 99-02 GMT-800 gauges
    2003-2006 GMT800 LED cluster conversion HOW-TO

I wrote this guide based on my 1995 Chevrolet C1500, so other models may be different. Use this guide at your own risk!

• You will need the following:
    • 7mm Nutdriver
    • Small flathead screwdriver
    • Six WLED-x bulbs, 120 degree beam.
      [​IMG]
    • Six T10S-TW twist-lock sockets. Only some clusters require these, read below to see if you need them.
      [​IMG]
    • Four T1.5-x bulbs
      • If you want to change the color of the indicators for the Recirculate and A/C buttons, order two additional T1.5-x bulbs.
      [​IMG]
    • One NEO4-x bulb
      [​IMG]

1. Before you order, you might want to check whether the sockets in your gauge cluster can be reused. It's easy (only takes about ten minutes) and could save you from a huge headache later on.
    2. Remove the dash bezel by prying at or grasping the edges and gently pulling them back. Start at the top and work towards the bottom.
    3. Disconnect the switches (Fog lights, cargo light, etc.) on your dash bezel. Then remove the entire bezel, you may need to lower the steering wheel and shifter in order to get it out.
    4. Remove the four screws holding the cluster to the dash using a 7mm nutdriver, then gently pull the cluster out. Make sure the ignition and headlight switches are OFF before you do this!
    5. Look behind the cluster to find six sockets labeled ILL. Remove them by twisting them slightly counterclockwise.
    6. Determine whether or not the sockets can be reused. If the sockets can be reused, the bulbs should easily pull straight out from the sockets. If the sockets can't be reused, the bulbs will be soldered to the contacts on the narrow sides. Usually the words "REPLACE ENTIRE ASM" will be stamped across the sockets too.
    7. If the sockets can be reused, you're good to go! If the sockets aren't reusable, you (obviously) will need the new twist-lock sockets from SuperBrightLEDs.com as well.

1. Once you have your LED replacements, follow these instructions:
    2. Remove the dash bezel by prying at or grasping the edges and gently pulling them back. Start at the top and work towards the bottom.
    3. Disconnect the switches (Fog lights, cargo light, etc.) on your dash bezel. Rather than disconnecting the headlight switch, pry at the tabs holding it to the bezel. You want the box to stay connected so you can easily test the lights later on. Finally remove the entire bezel, you may need to lower the steering wheel and shifter in order to get it out.
    4. Look on the bottom of the headlight switch for a very small bulb socket. Use a small flathead screwdriver to turn it slightly counterclockwise and remove it. Replace it using the NEO4-x bulb.
    5. Turn on your headlights and see if the switch lights up. Don't be fooled, it can be very hard to see in the daylight. If you are sure the LED is not working, simply take out the socket, rotate it halfway around, and put it back in. Since LEDs are diodes, electricity can only flow through them in one direction.
    6. Remove the four screws holding the cluster to the dash using a 7mm nutdriver, then gently pull the cluster out. Make sure the ignition and headlight switches are OFF before you do this!
    7. Look behind the cluster to find six sockets labeled ILL. Remove them by twisting them slightly counterclockwise.
    8. If the sockets can be reused, simply pull out the old bulbs and push in the LED replacements. If the sockets aren't reusable, use your new sockets with the LED bulbs. Reinstall all the sockets by twisting them slightly clockwise.
    9. Replace the cluster so it makes contact with the connector in the dash, but don't replace the four screws just yet. Turn on your headlights. Carefully check for dead spots in the cluster's lights. It can be very difficult to tell during the day, but during the night you should not have any deadspots with the WLED-x bulbs. If any of the LEDs are not working, simply take out the socket, rotate it halfway around, and put it back in.
    10. Once you've made sure all six LEDs are working, replace the four screws that hold the cluster to the dash.
    11. Remove the radio by pushing down on the tabs on the sides of the radio and pulling it out from dash. Disconnect the wire harness and antenna cable if you need too.
    12. Remove the four bulb sockets behind the HVAC controls by twisting them slightly to your right. If you have to, you can also remove the entire HVAC controller by prying at the tabs on the sides, but be extremely careful as the plastic tabs tend to be very brittle. Replace the bulbs using the T1.5-x bulbs.
      • On a few models, the bulb sockets are not replaceable because they wired to each other. If this is the case, simply pull the T1.5 LED out from it's socket and push it into the wired socket.
    13. If you ordered the two additional T1.5-x bulbs for the Recirculate and A/C indicators, the two bulb sockets are on the very bottom behind the HVAC controls. You will probably have to remove the entire HVAC controller to reach them.
    14. Once again, turn on your headlights and check for deadspots. If you find any, simply turn the socket (or bulb if your sockets were wired) halfway around. If you replaced the indicator bulbs, make sure they work as well.
    15. Once you're sure all LEDs are working, reconnect and replace the radio, reconnect all the bezel switches, and finally replace the dash bezel. You're done!
    Click to enlarge pic.
    [​IMG]

Turn on annotations for bulb numbers.

[YT]15fuCYm40iw[/YT]

2. Bigredmariner

Bigredmariner I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!

Good write up Kyle. I did my instrument cluster in my 2006. Those bulbs were soldered into the board, not a job for the easily discouraged. Very nice job. :thumbs:

3. Stumpuller6.5

Stumpuller6.5 Shits gonna get Abrasive...

oh can the bulbs in the headlight switch be changed?

4. thunderstruck

Yep, that's what the one NEO4 bulb is for.

I also changed almost all of the bulbs in the door switches too. I need to add that to the writeup.

5. Stumpuller6.5

Stumpuller6.5 Shits gonna get Abrasive...

Sweet, that would be greaet! was checking out the webesite, stuff is dirt cheap, may odrer it, then that will force me to put them in!:thumbs:

6. Draenor

Draenor KILL ALL HUMANS!!!!

...nice write up. :thumbs:

7. yota.coma

yota.coma undercover cop

I wanna do the ones in my taco. Change them to white

8. thunderstruck

I made a list of most of the bulbs in the interior and what LEDs to replace them with. This list is for a 1995 Ex Cab with power everything, but most of this list should still apply for all 95+ GMT400 trucks. If I didn't list a light, I didn't replace it and don't know what will work. I only listed LEDs that I know from experience will fit, although SuperBrightLEDs sells many different kinds of bulbs that could also fit too. Use at your own risk.

Instrument Cluster Illumination
    Six 194 bulbs and T3-1/4 sockets
    Replace with WLED-x5 or WLED-x bulbs and new T3-1/4 sockets if needed

HVAC Controller Illumination
    Four 74 bulbs and T1-1/2 sockets
    Replace with T1.5-x bulbs

A/C and Recirculation Buttons
    Two 74 bulbs and T1-1/2 sockets
    Replace with T1.5-x bulbs

Dome Light
    One 44mm x 10mm Festoon bulb
    Replace with a 4410-x9 or 4210-xHP (Festoon) bulb

Reading Lights
    Two 44mm x 10mm Rigid Loop bulbs
    Replace with RL4410-xHP9 (Rigid Loop) bulbs

Courtesy Lights
    Two 194 bulbs
    Replace with WLED-x6 bulbs

Door Lights
    Two 194 bulbs
    Replace with WLED-x5 bulbs (some minor trimming required)

Glovebox Light
    One 194 bulb
    Replace with a WLED-x5 bulb

Ashtray Light
    One 194 bulb
    Replace with a WLED-x6 bulb

Headlight Switch
    One 4mm Neo-Wedge bulb
    Replace with a NEO4 bulb

Driver Side Power Windows Switch
    One 4mm Neo-Wedge bulb
    Replace with a NEO4 bulb

Driver Side Power Lock Switch
    One 3mm Neo-Wedge Bulb
    Replace with a NEO3-HP bulb (You must use the High Power LED bulb, the ordinary LED bulb is too tall to fit)

Passenger Side Power Windows & Locks Switch
    One 4mm Neo-Wedge bulb
    Replace with a NEO4 bulb

9. yota.coma

yota.coma undercover cop

Yah there's a write-up on customtacos.com that says the right bulbs I need

10. Zembonez

Zembonez живи свободно или умри

Very cool!