CB Coax routing / extension

M.Cueva

jrrod2004
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I finally got around to actually tuning my antenna with my CB in the truck (too lazy to do this prior) and I got very good SWR (less than 1.5) across the entire band. My problem is the coax length. That sucker is about a foot too short to where I permanently mounted my CB. I will have to take photos of my setup and post em here when it is daylight again but suffice it to say, I may need a "firewall bushing" for the rear of the cab since I know I can get that extra foot by going direct and then up instead of down and then up for the cab itself.

Details:

- Antenna is mounted on the right rear stake hole with the ground attached to the tailgate cable screw (nice and clean metal and direct ground)

- coax runs under the right bed rail cap due to tonneau on top - pops out near as the cap tapers off

- coax runs down the front of the bed to the right rear cab vent (and into it)

- coax runs thru vent housing to under the right rear panel (pillar panel)

- coax runs up right rear panel (under pillar panel) to roof (right rear roof side)

- coax runs under headliner on the right side of the cab all the way to the front and then ends almost a foot from the radio

- radio is mounted where the roof console used to be (console broke - another story)

CB is working only because I have the SWR meter hooked up with its "jumper" coax.

Thoughts on rerouting or other options that I may have overlooked?
(I know that pics would help alot - those are forthcoming tomorrow)

Draenor

KILL ALL HUMANS!!!!
Reaction score
Probably need a pic. The way I see it run from the description, I'm not seeing where mounting the bushing will give you another foot.

You could always get a CB shop or yourself to solder in a new longer coax.

That Crazy Squirrel

I'm too LAZY to Choose a ... oh **** it...
Reaction score
Just get a double ended SO-239 and use the jumper you already have.

And, just FYI, with the antenna mounted at that location you're going to have almost no signal to the left rear, but a good signal to the left front.

Here's a diagram illustrating how location affects signal:

antenna_location.gif

Last edited:

dirtyoldman

I'm now on Medicare,officially old.
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to see what Bernie had to say about it.

M.Cueva

jrrod2004
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I will grab pics for yall shortly. The antenna gives extremely high swr near the cab (either front stake hole). I tried the rear and will very little tuning, I got it under 1.5....

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

That Crazy Squirrel

Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I will grab pics for yall shortly. The antenna gives extremely high swr near the cab (either front stake hole). I tried the rear and will very little tuning, I got it under 1.5....

What antenna are you using?

M.Cueva

jrrod2004
Reaction score

What antenna are you using?

Using a Vanco 4 ft antenna (regular, not the high performance)

Have a firestik tip tunable 5 foot antenna that does the same thing so I figured that I would rip up the cheaper antenna

That Crazy Squirrel

Reaction score
Okay, looking at the pics I have three suggestions:

Move it to the driver's side (less chance of it hitting someone on the curb or roadside trees/brush)

Run the coax down through the stake hole and then under the box rather than over it.

Change the coax for a longer piece if needed. (It's pretty easy to do on those mounts)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira
Back