1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Starter/Security

Discussion in 'Mobile Security' started by canuckz71, Aug 31, 2011.

1. canuckz71

canuckz71 Nothing runs like a Deere.

I will be moving out Sunday and going to school and with winter approaching I need to find a good remote start for the truck. The only thing I'm not sure of is what would be compatible with a truck as old as mine or if that really matters. Not looking to spend a fortune but don't want to cheap out and get a piece of crap either.

I've looked into a few but I'm not sure if they would fit my application.

Viper 5101 - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=725191e18e024ca8c7e950cbadebbf32en02

Nordic - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=afce8c47a04a07fa066c639b820f5c27en02

Also what is the difference between a 2 and 1 way remote?

2. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy No, that's not a banana in my pants.

The age of the vehicle doesn't matter at all. But you do need working power locks if you want keyless entry, and you need fuel injection and an automatic transmission for the remote start to work. Actually, there are a few models now that are even manual transmission compatible.
    And the difference between two way and one way remotes: a one way remote only sends a signal one way, from the remote fob to the alarm to arm/disarm, etc. A two way both sends signals to the alarm, and also gets signals back from the alarm. Basically, with a two-way you get a confirmation sent back to your remote to show you that the function you selected has been enabled, for instance it will show you that the car is running if it successfully starts after you pressed the remote start button.

3. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

I have the Viper 1 way. Works great!

4. 700 sportsman

700 sportsman "That motor runs gooder than hell !"

I have the viper 5301 which is the two way version of the one you posted. I had bought the 1 way but when I went to have it installed I decided to swap out for the 2 way and I'm glad I did. The 2 way is super nice because with the great range on it you won't always be in sight of your vehicle and the remote tells you everything. Also we deal with python systems at work, they are made by DEI who also makes viper, clifford, and a few other brands so they are all quite similar.

5. canuckz71

canuckz71 Nothing runs like a Deere.

Ok thanks for the info guys.

Sounds like the 2 way would be the best route since I'll want to start the truck before I can see it and make sure that it actually started the vehicle.

Not sure what I'll get but I will probably wait for something good to go on sale before i buy.