Boat/trailer people...have you ever experienced anything so extremely strange?

Z71_Silvy

I'm too LAZY to Choose a Custom Title!!!
Reaction score
Ok...try and stick with me

Look at the picture below:

Capture-7.png

The black dots are LEDs that work not only as the running lights (like when your headlights are on) but also function as the brake/turn signal lights.

The lines represent LEDs that are only running lights.

The issue I am having is when I connect the brake/turn wire to the wiring on the trailer, all of the black dot lights turn off (when I have the running lights on). As soon as I disconnect the brake/turn wire, the black dots come back on and function like normal.

Here's the odd part, this is not happening on the driver's side...just the passenger side. The driver side light functions like normal.

I have tried many things including hooking it up to my mom's Escape and the problem still persists.

BTW, this is the second light I have gotten. I returned the first one thinking it was defective.

Grounds are good, wiring is good, all other lights are functioning like normal. Even the brake/turn function works just fine.

What's really weird is that the black lines in the pic above stay lit....it's only the black dots that cease the function of being a running light.

Any ideas?

daddy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must have it mis-wired. I can't see how it could be anything else. :dunno:

Zembonez

живи свободно или умри
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it work as intended on a bench test?

Z71_Silvy

Reaction score
Yes...hooking it up to a 9V battery, and it works fine.

And I am not re-wiring the whole trailer...just swapping the lights for LEDs. I even ran a wire from the right brake/turn port on the harness at my truck to the brake/turn wire at the light. Leaving the running light hooked up, I touched the temporary brake/turn wire from the truck to the wire on the light and sure enough, those running LEDs went out.

I ran a wire from the driver's side running light to the pass. side and the same thing happened.

Basically, with those two temp. wires, I bypassed all of the trailer wiring that stayed in place and the results were the same. As soon as I remove the brake/turn wire from the light, the running lights function as they should. When I hook that wire back up, only half the running lights work.

If I have time tomorrow between jobs, I may just rewire the whole trailer with the new wires I got with the kit...I guess it can't hurt.

Kennyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like its a grounding problem, I know tou said the grounds are good but try running a new ground for that light.

mrolgren

The Dude Abides!
Reaction score
I think you are low on Amsoil Blinker Fluid.

Re-Fill and Re-Test. You should be good to go! :jester:

Z71_Silvy

Reaction score
I would just rewire the trailer. It isn't that hard and that way you know it is all good. Spark chasing sucks!

Yeah...it is super easy on this trailer....all c-channel construction.

I think you are low on Amsoil Blinker Fluid.

Re-Fill and Re-Test. You should be good to go! :jester:

F............................................................I knew I missed something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira
Back