1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluetooth adder to OEM deck - 02 Chevy 2500 HD

Discussion in '12V Electronics' started by el_magico, Jul 15, 2013.

1. el_magico

el_magico I'm NEW... What now?

Objectives:
    1.) Delete tape deck from center console.
    2.) Install bluetooth module (or similar) in its place, using the 'aux' option on the OEM deck.
    3.) Enjoy wireless music from my bluetooth device :)

Problem:
    I have a 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD with stock stereo and remote tape deck. Currently in order to enjoy Pandora, or mp3's etc I would have to have one those awesome tape to headphone jack adapters plugged into my phone or iPod. Then I would also have to have a charger plugged into the phone or iPod. Way too many wires, sub par sound quality. In attempts to solve at least one problem, I purchased a cheap bluetooth head set modeled after the Motorolla S9. I disassembled the tape and the headset, removed the bluetooth module and wired it and the battery to the tape adapter, luckily the module fit nicely into the shell of the tape. I was able to cut access ports for the power/sync buttons as well as the mini charging port.

The new device works great, however since the sound is going through the tape deck head, the quality isn't there. Plus every few days or so the tape needs to be charged. Enough with the wires!!

Solution:
    Many suggest that I just get a new deck, since this is "TruckModCentral", I doubt I will here that here. :) Besides I do not need or want the features of a new deck that will not fit properly in the 1.5 DIN space, that my phone is perfectly capable of.

Ok, since the idea works on a smaller scale, it should theoretically work on a slightly larger scale. Removing the tape deck, locate the left and right speaker wires and a 12v ACC power wire. I am willing to spend a few more bucks on a higher quality bluetooth module, perhaps from an old aftermarket deck etc. Wire it in directly and add a sync button somewhere. I should also be able to switch from AM/FM/CD/AUX from the OEM deck controls.

In my head, this all works perfectly assuming that the tape deck wiring is what I imagine it to be.

I did try searching on here before posting this, and is someone knows the location of something similar please let me know. Also, feed back from you guys would be much appreciated especially from those that suffer my same madness with the tape deck.

Thank you.

2. daddy

daddy Follicularly Disenfra

Are you still running the stock speakers/amp setup? If so, and you don't want to upgrade, I don't have any good advice outside of getting a new HU. If you do have an aftermarket setup, I'd suggest the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3

When you do remove the deck, GM makes a nice little pocket to replace it with.
    [​IMG]

3. el_magico

Thats not a bad option for the tape deck delete. I was thinking that I might have to make my own something or other to fill that void. I also thought about mounting my Max Energy tuner there. I would upgrade the speakers for higher quality sound but only to replace existing as I don't have much room for an amp or subwoofer. So if you have some tips on replacing the stock speakers I would appreciate that too.

Thanks.

4. Texas Jim

Texas Jim Texas..It's a Whole 'nuther Country

Just a thought...

If your truck originally had OnStar... it might be possible to use a 2009 or newer Onstar module to add the Bluetooth capability...
    I know you can do that to some of the GM cars... not sure about on trucks...

5. el_magico

Hmm, interesting! It does have OnStar. I'll search around to see what I can find about those modules. It would be nice to be able to use the bluetooth for calls, since the truck is already equipped with a mic I thought about doing it later. As of yet my plans were to use my old iPhone on wifi and run a hotspot from my phone, to keep the phone free for calls and such.

Thanks for the input Texas Jim.

6. daddy

daddy Follicularly Disenfra

He's got the old analog OnStar unit. I doubt they are interchangeable, unfortunately.

7. Texas Jim

Texas Jim Texas..It's a Whole 'nuther Country

Oh, OK...
    I wasn't sure what year they switched to Digital...

8. mr_bots

mr_bots People in glass houses sink ships

The aux should be fairly easy to the factory radio but don't know how you'd add a decent Bluetooth experience. The digital OnStar modules were very limited in backwards compatibility. I know its the up and coming thing to play music off your phone through Bluetooth but the quality doesn't come close to USB or a hard aux connection IMO.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  9. txab

txab Don't get stuck on stupid!

^^^^This

10. el_magico

I am aiming towards using a BT 4.0 module which is comperable to the module inside the Beats Audio headset, and supported by the Samsung Galaxy S4. If you've ever heard the Beats Pill or Jambox, to me, those have some pretty good sound for only using BT 2.1. As for loss of sound quality, going to bluetooth, my ears are not sophisticaed enough to hear the difference. However, my drop in stress level of less wires will definitely make up for any sub par sound quality.