1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Block 049 heads

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by dirtyoldman, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Tucson Z60

Tucson Z60 I know your your type...she's inflatable!

Your getting more vacuum and that increases intake velsoity on the throttle transistion to WOT. At WOT your not creating more vacuum but having more accuracy in your valve train is going to help out alot at WOT. The engine is not working against it's self and unbalanced cylinders combustion wise. My guess is that if it running cooler things have increased fuel wise on the intake side and it's not running lean.

Lean can mean power but to much creates heat and zapps power. I think that with everything for lack of better word more accurately tuned in the valve train your seeing you gains.

I think the big block can handle the 1.8 ratio rockers and they would be a good choice.....I have to keep reminding myself you have to pass smog though. Your still on the stock cam correct? Have any of the gains your noticing now givin you an increase your happy with....comments above I think confirm your happy but do you want more? Would you have been happy and expect to get what you have done to this point with the intake, cam and heads you were thinking about in the beginning? Or where your expectations of the heads, cam and intake much greater than what you have gotten now?

Be honest with your expectations and what you have accomplished. If you want a little more the 1.8's might be a good choice. They are cheap way of doing a "little" cam increase with out changing out your cam. Just the roller tip rockers them selves will give that "little" extra, the canted valves react to a roller rocker or roller tip very well by freeing up friction from the valve train. Be prepared they are noisy and can sound some what loose is the only way to describe them....it's a more solid noise and not the clack of loose rocker.

I personally would do the 1.8's smog be dammed and change them out if you have issues with passing the smog check for the stock rockers every 2 years.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman I'm now on Medicare,officially old.

Smogging any vehicle here can be a major pain if you're trying to improve it's performance,gotta do it carefully.I'm not one to get it done illegally.But if I can do a few mods and have 'em on the truck for two years and switch back to what passed last time in a few hours I'll do that.

The burb was last smogged last fall and passed easily and that's with the CompCams cam I have in it...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Here are the lifters I'm looking at,what do you think?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110890850653?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=110890850653&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

3. Tucson Z60

I can't say much about those rockers, they look like many others on the market and i have never used anything but comp and harland sharp. I have read over the years on forums of overseas rockers failing but I have never seen a picture of anything that looked like the rocker failed vs a lubrication issue or that something else may have broken first.

I have always like the quality of comp and harland sharp. I kinda look at them like wheel bearings. Timkens seem to hold up much better than others....why I can't say for sure but they sure have positive following vs other brands. What's the difference? It must be some sort of manufacturing process or the tolerance of hardware used? I could see there maybe being difference in the trunnion bearings on the roller rocker (there bearings the rockers pivot on) and the roller tips bearings. Maybe a weak point is the roller pin?

I also can't say much on what is available for a 1.8 anymore....these could be the only option? I would think of trying them since they are not going to be stressed at race levels of performance and heat cycles. That and you might have to get a look at them every two years which sucks but also could be a good thing.

One thing I can say is with needle bearings in these you want to make sure your oil is kept clean, dirt will be the enemy on these.

I know I have some comp rockers for big block hidden in box someplace. They are the roller tip type and are very nice. I only have 2 or 3 rockers but I can send them to you if want them. You can look at them and see if you like the parts, they will not cost you anything. They can't be that much to ship. Just PM me your address.

The catch is....I just have to find the damn things and I saw them just prior to moving to Tucson from Arkansas :fingersx:

4. dirtyoldman

I asked the seller if the OEM pushrods (3/8) could handle the added pressure form the 1.8 ratio change and he wasn't sure.If there's any doubt I'd rather go with the Comp Cams stamped steel roller tip 1.7s,then I know they'll be OK.

Thanks for the offer to send the ones you have...I'd like to see 'em.I'll send 'em back after checking 'em out.

Sending PM..

5. Tucson Z60

Have to find them first....:D I also will toss in some larger push rods I have. No need to send any of this back to me. Pretty sure the push rods are not a complete set, maybe you can use them, maybe not?? They are a two piece which are not a real desirable part.

I have no use for this stuff and you might want it or know someone in your group of friends that may have a use.

6. dirtyoldman

Sounds good,appreciate it.Curious now what a two piece pushrod looks like :dunno:

7. dirtyoldman

Got those CompCams rocker arms yesterday,they are pretty nice.I really like the pushrod end oiling groove to direct the oil down to the pivot ball.Now I know I want a complete set.

Thanks for sending 'em.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. PenguinLTZ

PenguinLTZ Administrator Staff Member

:thumbs: I have run a couple of sets of those, Gary. Good rockers. :thumbs:

9. dirtyoldman

Cool :thumbs:

10. Tucson Z60

Nothing like being able to hold product in your hands and checking them out. They such nice parts.....glad you can use them and that they sealed the deal for you. :thumbs: